Saturday, June 25, 2016

everything was looking great for the kids, and then the insurance company said, oh hell no, no fun will happen here

Jerry MacLean began building the track in Glen Valley a few weeks ago for some boys who had asked him for a place to ride. He had the boys helping him, those that wanted a place to ride their dirt bikes, and he built it with plenty of tight turns so the kids couldn't build up much speed, and he set up a couple rules for additional safety. No riding shoulder to shoulder, just one at a time, and only after getting their parents consent in writing.

Parents signed consent forms, and the track had barely opened before MacLean hit a road block.

He was told this insurance company, PEI Mutual, couldn't offer him a policy for the route. He said they told him if he went with another company, his house insurance would have to be cancelled.


  1. Simple solution- take the track portion of your land and divide it off by securing a new deed. You then form an LLC for the track and sell/lease the newly subdivided land to the LLC. The LLC operates separate from the homeowner and purchases its own insurance. The landowner maintains his home policy (possibly at a lesser rate since the property is now smaller) and he has also protected his assets if and when there is an accident. I cannot fault the insurance company in this case but where there is a will there is a way. _please run this advice by your attorney--

  2. I thought it was just the USA that had too many lawyers...

    with insurance, lots of slip and fall artists will find a way to scam some money,

    how do all the other off road parks get ins?
    or maybe if you subdivide the land you dont need any, , make sure there is a small mortgage on your personal residence and also on the dirtbike land, so its not free and clear,