Monday, June 05, 2023

It has been a great day, here's the big reason why

I finally got started on my project car's major upgrades, because I finally found a shop in town that came recommended by an old friend and autocross racer, and in about a month as parts arrive and his shop has space available, 
the heads are getting upgraded to Edelbrock Victors, 
the headers (cheapest ones the previous owner could buy) are getting replaced by Hookers
the drum brakes are getting replaced by Wilwoods, on front and back
the front suspension is getting replace with a QA1 set up

My car will be upgraded to modern car suspension and brakes... I did it to my last car, and it makes a world of difference to a 1969 Dodge!

I'll update on this a lot in the future

some years down the road when I get my credit card paid off again, as that WILL take a year or two with this on it (60% credit card, 40% savings) I'll get subframe connectors, the fiberglass lift off hood, rear suspension upgrade, etc

6 comments:

  1. Great news. I hope you are able to put some miles on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, but it's going to be delayed by parts delivery until at least late July, maybe later, depending on getting stuff delivered

      Delete
  2. thats great !
    you will love being able to drive it.
    we have a 64 Falcon station wagon, with a lumpy cam, headers, glass pack mufflers, skyjacker air shocks , and vintage slot mags and fat tires. modern front suspension, aftermarket tubular A arms, disc brakes etc, had Gary Tayman rebuild the origional radio to be AM/FM/Satellite and bluetooth, we finally added holley fuel injection and vintage air AC.
    its a great driver, we drove it 500 miles each way to the Turkey Rod Run at Daytona Beach a couple years ago,,
    and it attracts a crowd every time you stop for gas. I dont think a Ferrari or Lambo could draw more attention.
    everyones mom or aunt or grandmother had a Falcon station wagon it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right... It was my daily driver back when I first got it, but I was broke, and couldn't afford that 100 octane av gas much. Instead I bought a co-workers used car for 2k. Being able to stop in at a gas station to fuel up, is a blessing. So, I've had the odl beast car 21 years, and haven't been able to use gas stations yet. Never will be able to until I can afford an engine rebuild. But brakes and tires are more important than a fresh engine, so, that's what I'm doing right now.
      Oh that Falcon sounds great! I doubt you remember how many are in my local area, but I have posted 4 or 5. None of them have been fixed up, heck, 2 of them are growing cobwebs... to the street. You can tell when a car hasn't moved for a long time by the size of the spiderwebs hanging from it.
      Dang, cam, glass packs, and headers? That must sound so damn good! Slotted mags and fat tires... sweet!
      Geez, and you've upgraded the suspension and brakes too... and AC, plus great radio? that's got to be completely done, huh?
      Ain't old cars a great way to meet and talk to people! I just met a guy who has a Maverick, and one of the first things I said was my parents had a 72 Grabber Maverick... and he replied, that's what a lot of people say! He said, every since he gave up on his 87 Mustang GT, that everyone looks at like a bellybutton, and regards as a yo yo's car, that has to wreck when leaving a car show, for his Maverick which everyone loves and tells him about how they know someone, or are related to someone that had a Maverick. You're right, a Ferrari or Lambo wouldn't get more attention... we love the cool old American cars much more

      Delete
  3. Excellent. Hoping to see you post some pics of the progress and completion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup... content I can make without spending time online searching for it!

      Delete