Wednesday, March 16, 2022

the DC-3 (civilian version of the C 47) sold as military surplus in 1946-47 were bought up by a lot of successful American companies for their executives business use

 http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/News_articles2020/DC3-VIP.php

The planes are not a lot of excitement to look at, but serve as a visual to anchor the story of what companies owned a business / executive use aircraft. 

Pillsbury, Midwestern VW Corp, Parker Pen, Red Owl Stores, Johnson and Johnson, Sears Roebuck, all of the oil companies and insurance companies too.



2 comments:

  1. Aah Jesse,I must disagree with you on this one. In my humble opinion,I reckon the mighty C47/DC3 is one of the prettiest of all transport/passenger aircraft ever built! That's without even thinking about it's record setting longevity and safety.(only surpassed by the 747,I think) It's forerunner,DC2 was second in the 1934 London to Sydney air race(KLM airlines) which really opened the door to international air travel. A fabulous story in itself! It has such a "just right" look about nose/cockpit,tail fin and plan views of main and tail planes. Then,I am the son of a WW11 RAAF airframe fitter...so I guess I may be biased. My first flight was in a RAAF "Gooney Bird",as they were lovingly called,for an all too short 35 minutes.That also might have something to do with it. ;-) Still lovin' your work,Mate. Cheers Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shape is terrific, but not exciting. There are no gun turrets, and I'm a fan of more engines. So, the 4 engine planes with big dual guns? Exciting. Cargo transport airplanes? Not as much. I like them all, that's why I post them. And hey, even the C 47s had nose art and scoreboards!

      Delete