Tuesday, December 15, 2020

you all are familiar with Ron Berry's incredible van, Surf Seeker. No doubt you know how blown away I am by Ron, as I was stunned by his first creation, Shore Break. Immense respect, right? So, how are we to react when someone rips off his design, and gives him credit?




here's the tribute and the original compared, Ron's is cuter, and with better colors. The rubber trim around the windows kills the look. 




After all, Ron had the same inspiration from VWs design of their van... and should the designer who created the VW van be upset about that? Or the VW logo on the front of the VW van?

And when I say the imitation gives Ron credit and respect, I mean, literally. 



if you're new here and don't know of Ron's outstanding creations, here is the other: 


from 2007 http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2007/09/shorebreak-ron-berry-custom-woodie.html

So, Ron's upset... but how is that going to work out? When a copy of the VW van is made, and it isn't likely VW said go ahead and copy the look of our van, and make a copy of the VW sign on the front between the headlights... What should he think anyone can find fault with when someone else does the same to him, as he did to VW? 

I think it's a wash. When you admire something and make a version for yourself, can you be upset when someone does the same to you? Even if their copy, of your styled version, is clearly and respectfully, credited to you as the inspiration? 

I think you have to accept the admiration and compliment, and quietly say to anyone that wants to know, "no one asked me if they could copy my van" and hope no one replies, did you ask VW if you could copy theirs? 

1 comment:

  1. If had the time and money & space...yes I would do it to but with my own little twist...and I still would give him some credit

    ReplyDelete