Monday, December 14, 2020

So, here's what I'm learning about car insurance

 if someone steals stuff out of your car, your car insurance policy doesn't cover it. 

Nope. You need a renters or home owners policy to cover personal property. 

Was my car rented? Nope. Was the stuff stolen rented? Nope. 

So what the hell is a renters policy got to do with things stolen from your car? 

According to the insurance company? About 500 dollars of deductible less than you'll want it to, so, choose better than I did on the amount you want them to NOT pay in a claim. 

See, I didn't even know my car insurance didn't cover the stuff in the car. 

I did know I wanted the stuff in my rented garage covered, so, I got a renters policy for the tools n stuff. 

Did anyone tell me that there was a deductible on the renters insurance policy? Not that I remember... and I normally remember how much stuff costs and how much my deductible is. Anyway, I don't remember agreeing to a 500 deductible, that's a weeks pay for pete's sake.

Ok, so, the insurance company doesn't pay you for the stuff unless you file a police report, even though when you file a claim on damage to your car, for the same amount of dollar value, they don't say anything about a police report.

So, no police report, no paying you for the stolen stuff. 

Oh yeah, and THEY figure out how much your stuff has depreciated in value... Now, after you detail what was stolen, and they come up with a check of a deductible amount less than they've decided your stuff is worth, and you've filed a police report, which I only learned they required today (as the cops aren't going to do a damn thing to find the thief, or your stuff), then they get back to you about a day later. So, one day to get your list of stuff, one day to tell you what they've figured its worth. 

That's what I've learned about insurance... the timeline isn't too bad, and the people at Allstate have been very nice to work with. The whole situation sucks, especially the deductible... but damn, I guess I've been luckier than most, this is the first time I've had stuff stolen, and I haven't had anything to do with any insurance company except to pay the bill for decades. I didn't even know I'd been a customer of Allstate's since 2004 until they told me so, today

4 comments:

  1. My love to be and her new boyfriend stole one of my Corvettes....When I got drafted and sent to boot camp...Good thing I bought coverage for it in storage..I paid for a year in advance..
    They tried to get my mom to take ACValue..$800....It had a 427 & T-10..Not quite what it was worth..
    She fought it as I happened to be elsewhere and I got somewhat better settlement...They did not refund the year's premium I had paid in advance..
    Can't live without them...assho's.....
    The lady love?..Man Karma hit her many times.....Yippie!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insurance is ALWAYS a gambling game, to which you do not comprehend that game's rules. You are betting them your $1000+ per year that you will be repaid for a covered peril, and they are betting you will not. It is a sucker's game, and a necessity, whether for auto, home, health, or life. I am one of the many whose premiums pay for other people's damages, along with the wages of the entire Insurance companies' employees, and particularly their operating management and Board of Directors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're going to hate a section of corporate uhmerika, hate the insurance industry. They're fine when they have to cash your checks. But if you did make a claim and get paid, they would have raised your premiums or cancelled you all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm no fan of insurance companies, they got greedy after interest rates went sky high and they started earning a bundle investing their "reserves". Then when rates dropped they tried to maintain the profit margins on the backs of their customers. However, a lot of people fail to understand the 'insurance' concept. When we all purchase insurance we are effectively pooling our money to aid the unfortunates among us when disaster strikes. A simplification, but I think accurate.

    ReplyDelete