Tuesday, December 15, 2020

After selling their beloved Chevelle, their son Eric tracked it down decades later , and he wrote this up:


On July 8, 1965, my Dad purchased a brand new 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS. This was his first new car purchased off the lot and, oddly, has been the only new car he has ever purchased. He paid $3,262.45 for the car.

He then married my Mom in November of that same year. This car was very special to my Dad and Mom and we have great pictures of their adventures.

Shortly after their honeymoon, my Mom became pregnant and my oldest brother was on the horizon. He was born in ’67 and soon after, Mom and Dad learned of twins coming. The discussion turned back to the two-door coupe, and my Mom and Dad decided to sell the Chevelle to accommodate the future family.

Hearing about this car while growing up, it has been a dream of mine to someday give back to my parents the dream car they gave up for us. 1965 Chevelle’s are not a rare car and are easy to find, but I wanted to find Mom and Dad’s original ’65 Chevelle.

When Dad sold his car, he sold it to a neighbor in Sunburg, so I knew where to start. I reached out to this person and learned that they still had the car, the owner had kept the original purchase agreement signed by my Dad! They had plans to restore it themselves, so they were not interested in selling.


I found the car sitting in a grove of trees. It had been there since the mid-1970s. 

The full restoration took over 15 months 


https://journal.classiccars.com/2020/12/13/my-classic-car-restoring-mom-and-dads-original-65-chevelle/

No comments:

Post a Comment