Tuesday, March 29, 2022

here's an example of the emails I get every so often

Car Guy,

Attached are some photos of an unusual car that I have owned for about 8 years. It is a 1954 Custom Crown Imperial Convertible. The Chrysler records show that it is the only one built in 1954. It was built with a special interior with some unusual, embroidered crowns in the seat backs. This car may have been built for an executive or for a special reason.

At some point the car was converted into a starting line car for horse racing. The back seat was removed, and the rear bumper was extended back with some special pivot hardware that still exists. The sides of the doors and rear fenders have padded elements that protect the body from the starting gate arms that must have been swung out to stage the horses?? I have all the pads and you can see the drilled holes where they go.

I am just looking for any history of this car. Why was it originally built as a 1 of 1 car? When and where was it converted for a racetrack to use. Which track was it used at? Where can I find any photos of the car in its early years? Photos of it in use at a racetrack would be fantastic. Can you help with anything here? I would appreciate any thoughts you have for finding more Information.

Steve



My Reply:

Steve, I could help you if I was in the zone to start a new job as your employee at 40 an hour as a researcher.

OR, you could do your own homework.

That's not anything that should upset you, you ought to realize that at our age, we all have our own things to do, and when anyone asks us to do something, we expect to get paid.

You've had a car for 8 years, and you have a lot of interest in it.

OK, well, I don't. I don't have your car, I don't have your thirst for answers.

YOU are looking for it's history. I don't have it, and won't even look for it. That's YOUR homework. Me? I'm busy with my own stuff. Unless you're looking to trade money for effort in research

I'm not even going to be a consultant. I never told you or anyone else I was a free consultant.

But thanks for giving me an example of what to post that people ask ME about, so I can show my readers what I don't do when asked by strangers, for free, and that I reply with, "but I am for hire, no results guaranteed"

............................................

Of course, someone reading this, who isn't asked to do work for free, will likely think to themselves, "what a dick"

Of course, those reading this who are regularly asked to do work for free, will possibly say "damn, that Steve asked for a lot of free work"

And anyone that notices he says "The Chrysler records show " and yet is asking me about this car.... ought to get a cookie for realizing this indicates he does know how to do his own homework


6 comments:

  1. by the way, don't waste your time interpreting what he said, or was asking. I can read, and his note doesn't need your help. He does, so, if you must be helpful to him, I'll just give you his email and you can help him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend of mine likes to say "kids today know the cost of everything and the value of nothing!" I to agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on.

    PS. That was a remarkably restrained answer to Steve. Those neighborhood walks are doing you good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, not a dick.
    One of the hardest things to do is say no, especially it it might turn out to be interesting and you don't want to be a dick. Where do you draw the line? At the starting gate, because if you hem and haw you get their hopes up then they're really disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang Jesse, you didn't even attach the pictures of the car. :-)

    I think because sometimes you go and get tons of information on some things, people assume you will do that for them. What the difference is, which I guess they don't understand, is that those are things that sparked YOUR interest and you went off on your own initiative to find out more about it because it interested you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car is a 1954 Chrysler Crown Imperial convertible. It has nothing that makes it look unusual... so, it's not worth posting photos of. When I've posted photos of a horse track starter gate car, it's because they have the gates on them, or, they are at the track.
      This guys car is in a garage, and isn't interesting to look at. Plus, he never mentioned wanting to share his car photos, and never asked "please" for help. So, nope. No interest in his car or helping him

      Delete