Sunday, March 19, 2023

I think this is the 1st time I've seen the buck toothed kid on Oilzum products, it was in use from about 1906 to 1911

 





here's that sign on display at the 1909 Boston Auto Fair 





F.W.White and H.P.Bagley established their small company in 1888.
At White and Bagleys Worcester offices, the founders of the company and their little staff tackled the basic lubrication problem: to develop a practical motor oil of uniform quality with a long service life and good protective properties. 
A series of basic motor oil formulae were developed by White and Bagley during the years when the automobile was changing from a scientific curiosity to a reliable road machine.
More often than not, the oil bought at blacksmith shops and corner stores was inferior, unbranded, of uncertain quality. So to overcome this, in 1905, White and Bagley created one of the very first brand name motor oils, Oilzum. 
The familiar Oilzum kid trademark became a fast friend of the early motorist.
The company changed to Oswald the Chauffer logo after about 5 years

3 comments:

  1. Never seen that. Another great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I don't think I ever had either, and so I did my part to share the cool interesting stuff I come across while enjoying this interesting hobby we have of vehicle enthusiasm.
      Darn it, what I should have done is place a bet with everyone that I could pull this off, and in return, collect a paycheck! That would have been a lot damn smarter on my part

      Delete
  2. Interesting indeed, especially because what is shown at the beginning is cylinder oil rather than motor oil, "carbonless" an important qualification. We don't normally see cylinder (aka top cylinder) oil used much these days, but it used to be pretty routine to add some to fight corrosion and wear. I bet that light grade Oilzum made for a really nice machine oil.

    ReplyDelete