Monday, March 20, 2023

Are you ready to read a rant? PST probably isn't, but they are getting one anyway. Maybe they'll get the idea that they can improve on customer service, but maybe you'll get a laugh (and buy from some other company)

after ordering a front end rebuild kit from PST, for polygraphite bushings, (because 29 years ago I bought one due to it's good reputation in Mopar magazines, for my 69 Super Bee and now it's time to replace the bushings on the 69 R/T I replaced that rusty Super Bee with) I get this email a week after the kit was delivered:


Since 10% off the kit price of about 450, would be about 45 dollars, that's enough to get my attention. 

So I emailed PST to say, why didn't your company simply apply that to the order I placed, OR let me know when I called - that waiting a week for the sale would be a money saver? 
...............................................................................................................................................................

here's the email: 

So, when I ordered last week, and called to ask about discount codes, and military discount - and your company had this sale a week away - your customer service couldn't mention to me (who was in no hurry to order) that waiting a week would save me 10%

That's no way to treat customers and expect us to sing your praises and recommend you to our friends, followers, website readers, car club buddies, etc.

Think about it, how do YOU want your reputation to stand?

...............................................................................................................................................................
 

Jesse, 

 So sorry for the miscommunications. We usually do a sale on every holiday weekend through our email blasts. These sales are for online orders only. The sales staff & customer service have nothing to do with these specials and do not know the codes. We do however offer a discount in every catalog, you can find that info on the inside front cover. Our next online only sale will be Easter. You can find the code on the website or on the email the day before the holiday weekend. Note they cannot be combined with other offers. Hope this information helps. 

 Sandy
...............................................................................................................................................................

I replied with this rant (as long time readers of this blog know I will)



I didn't order through a catalog, I ordered from my experience as a prior customer.

I bought a front end kit in 1994 for my previous 1969 Dodge. So, knowing how I liked the way my Super Bee felt after installing the polygraphite suspension kit, I bought the same kit for my current 1969 Dodge R/T.

I didn't need a catalog to know what I wanted to order, I didn't need an advertisement in a catalog, I didn't need a booth at SEMA.

Discount codes, sure, it makes zero sense to keep those from customer service, because it seems PST has no clue what the definition is of "customer service"

Sales staff doesn't know them either? So, no one at your company looks at the catalog? Or no one is allowed to HELP the CUSTOMER get the discount?

Why would I, or any other customer, need a catalog, to order ONE kit, for ONE car? Has that obvious clue to normal customers (if you buyers with fleets of muscle cars getting a variety all at the same time, I don't believe it) escaped the attention of sales?

Hell, I only asked the guy on the phone (who I only wasted time with because YOUR website has a 20% reply of "THAT DON'T FIT") to verify the right part number, because YOUR WEBSITE can't be trusted.

Combined with WHAT other offers? Offers from little green men from mars? Drunks in bars? Recruiters for the military? YOU just stated that the only discount code is in a catalog I'm not aware of, and only on holiday weekends.

That your repeat customers like myself only need a kit from your company once every couple DECADES ought to cause a shift in how you respond to them. Obviously, I won't be a customer again, obviously I don't need anything else on every holiday weekend in the upcoming year, and obviously 30 years from now (based on my only two purchases from PST) I won't likely have another muscle car that will need suspension replacement parts. THIS was your only chance to realize how to fairly treat customers, repeat ones at that, and further, ones with websites that ONLY share information to other car guys like the reputation killing variety of how this communication clearly shows what a failure the concept of customer service and public relations are at PST.

Because THAT is what car guys do, we spread the word of what companies are doing great, who makes great products, treat customers fair, and who can't run a business competently and ought to be avoided to prevent aggravation. PST is 1 for 3. My mom did better than 1 for 3 sensing when her kids were misbehaving, in the next room, instead of doing homework! A blind bat does better in an underground cave when catching insects, in FLIGHT! A bear does better when catching salmon flying through the air up waterfalls!

I hope you forward this to your company CEO, COO, and VPs.

...............................................................................................................................................................

what do you think? Am I wrong to think they ought to let customers know of upcoming holiday weekend sales?  Is that out of line? I only even thought to ask the customer service guy on the phone about discounts because their website has a " if you have a discount code, enter it here"

So, they have discounts, so I figure they ought to make their customers who are unaware of those, aware, because THAT is good customer service. 

It's the same reason I share what I learn about contests with you here on my blog. 

Are they morons in the many ways I pointed out, or am I an idiot for expecting any company to have informed sales and customer service departments, websites that don't tell the customer the selected part number won't fit (serious, PST's site does this 20% of the time when you enter the year, make, model) etc etc

Who is the assholes in this encounter? Them? Or me for having expectations of NORMAL level of customer service? 

WHEN did it make any sense to tell a customer AFTER they bought something - OH! Wait! Buy more, we will give you a discount on the next purchase because YOU'RE LUCKY! (see ad above) 

It aggravates me to know that my purchase has zero effect on their perception of me as a customer, they didn't care to offer me a discount when I showed up and bought a $450 kit, but they then think that I have some need for MORE parts from them, a week later, that I wasn't going to purchase the first time I bought from them? Who delays on part of an order, preferring to wait a week or more, to order the rest of the stuff they need? 

7 comments:

  1. Atta Boy ! That is my kind of rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, exact reason when I was in business to 'never' have a sale......avoided this sort of rant for 23 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but, you ran your own business, right? Just one person making the decisions and choices, not outsourcing sales, or customer service. Am I right?

      Delete
    2. Yes Jesse, you are correct.......I did give a military discount when asked, but only military and also repeat customers if it was with'in a 2 year period.....I called them repeat offenders..lol. But never, ever a holiday discount or any other sort of Black Friday BS sort of thing......Coincidentally.....I pulled a a page saved for a new convertible top this morning for my summer car, over $160 bucks off the regular price, got my attention but no outside or published 'sale' that I can find....

      Delete
    3. Sounds like sound business policy to me, and I have no idea why holidays are a reason for a sale anyway... a St Patricks day sale? For suspensions? There is no connection, so, what's the point? And if something as stupid as a St Patricks day minor holiday is reason to offer a discount, but only for customers with a catalog, then why in the hell not give that discount to any customer that when on the phone with customer service, specifically asks what that "discount code" is all about and is there a military/vet discount? How is St Patricks day rate higher for a discount, than being a vet, or a repeat customer is the mystery here with PST.
      So, I share the problem on the blog, and increase awareness among the other car guys that might benefit from knowing what's going on.
      160 off, that's substantial!

      Delete
  3. P.S. $160....Is about a 1/2 tank of gas.............In my Winnebago....(;+)....

    ReplyDelete