Monday, January 09, 2023

this is what 700 miles of oil loss looks like on my car's engine... 1.6 quarts lost in 700 miles of normal use, a round trip from San Diego to Vegas and back, for the CES convention

 and for the past 10000 miles, I've had to get the dealership to measure how much oil my 2015 Hyundai Veloster is losing, because it's under warranty, BUT, the dealerships do not diagnose and repair engine oil excessive consumption. They do a series of tests to measure and document the amount of oil the engine is losing, leaking, or burning. Since they haven't found a leak in 2 years, it must be getting burnt up.

But that is not something that gets diagnosed and fixed. 

Instead, the engine is replaced if after all the time, tests, and effort can not figure out what the cause is of the excessive oil consumption. 

so, I've had to waste time at the dealership every 1000 miles, to wait while they figure out how much oil it's burnt up lately. 

this upcoming one will be the 6th test it has proven to use up more than 1 quart, PER 1000 miles driven

and this is the survey they email to customers.... 

well, last time I was there, last Thursday morning because on getting my car back from the 7 weeks after I had proven that no magic had yet occurred, to reduce the amount of oil my car was burning up - as the trip to SEMA finished off another 1000 miles, and due to the trip, I had driven 1254 miles, and it used 1.72 quarts of oil... but I digress. The dealership overfilled the oil, and starting a test to measure how much is used, with more than it is designed to be filled with, changes the outcome of the test. 

So I had to go back and get the oil drained to precisely "Full" and no more, no less. That is how you start a test of liquid measurement loss, you must know exactly how much you start with. So last Thursday morning I was 1st customer of the day, so it would take the least amount of time, as the tech/mechanics would have no workload yet.

And it took them 90 minutes until I lost my patience and had to ask what was taking so long. 

That was the 1st indication to the service manager that his repeat customer that has an oil loss problem, was waiting 3 times longer for an oil change (drain to proper level) than is normal (20 minutes)

Now if you look at that survey again:


was my Service Experience Truly Exceptional? Not unless they consider 4 times the normal amount of time exceptionally strange. 

I believe it was retaliation, vindictive behavior, for being a pain in the ass. I could be wrong, but, over filling the oil on an oil test, and then making them fix that? Might be pissing off the people at the dealership. 

What causes me to think so cynically? I worked at a car dealership for 5 years. 

1 comment:

  1. Wife had a 2015 Veloster go back under lemon law. It spent 3 of the first 4 months (not exaggerating) at the Hyundai dealer because they couldn't find parts (not joking). She ended up getting results when she started making a pest of herself with Hyundai Corporate. Have all of your documentation ready including every visit, and reason, to the dealer. it seems they are trying to run out the clock on your warranty.

    ReplyDelete