Wednesday, January 09, 2019

I just read that there were only two parts that interchanged between the specialty Daytona Charger and Super Bird Road Runner aero parts... the flip up headlights and the nosecone


Of course, all the drivertrain, suspension, etc parts were interchangeable... but I'm specifically referring to the wings, fenders, fender scoops, rear windows, A pillar aero, and fender legs

http://motorlands.net/11-crazy-things-you-probably-never-knew-about-u-s-muscle-cars/

so, having told you what that source had to say, since I don't just make shit up - I relate to you what I find other people have said, and then I give you a link to them so you can tell THEM what they don't know, and have gotten wrong, I also will show you what was just sent to me, that the nosecones are different, though possibly still interchangeable - but the Super Bird has a peaked center.

This then reinforces what I read in Muscle Car Review, https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2019/01/unrestored-daytona-with-only-20904.html that only the flip up headlights are the same parts.


 Notice, I'm still telling you what I found, and what source. Again, I'm not making this up, I'm telling you something that I've found other people stating, and letting you go tell them what you think about it.


and now with this Super Bird image to compare to the blue Daytona above, it's easy to see that the Bird's beak is peaked in the top center.

And the grill is not the same in the different nose cones. Are they interchangeable? I don't know. Will they bolt onto the wrong car? I doubt anyone has tried to find out.

http://torqueaddict.com/1970-plymouth-superbird-vs-1969-dodge-charger-daytona/

I think that brings this issue to a close, and unless anyone has a side by side comparison of the bolt patterns of the Daytona and Super Bird nosecones, there isn't anything else to say about their interchangeability... if they can be swapped probably isn't anything anyone will have an article or first hand experience with

10 comments:

  1. I don't believe the nose cone is interchangeable, Superbird has the grill under the leading ledge and the hood center bulge extends onto the nose. Just jabbering, Jesse I love this blog! Thanks for the memories. I got to restore a Superbird almost 30 years ago so it's getting hard to remember the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and your expertise is why I don't just make stuff up to post, I simply relate what I've read and learned, and cite my source as the place I get such information from. I've never worked on either a Bird or a Daytona, so I wouldn't know.
      Glad you are enjoying the blog!

      Delete
  2. Actually, the Superbird came out after the Daytona, and based on some on the track cooling issues the Daytona encountered, they opened up the Superbird grille. The turn signal lenses are also different in each nose.

    At the 1:55 mark, a video in this link covers the differences in nose cones: http://torqueaddict.com/1970-plymouth-superbird-vs-1969-dodge-charger-daytona/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I had nothing written as to which was the older or newer model, so actually I can't see why you actually bring up what we actually all know about the Daytona being created and actually produced the year before the Superbird was actually made by Plymouth.
      As for the turn signals being different, well, that would be why I said the headlights and nose cone are said to be interchangeable parts, and why I actually did not say that I read the turn signals were.... as they are not.
      Maybe you can bring up 2 other fats I said nothing about, instead of commenting on the things that I did? Or not.

      Delete
  3. I just added the photograph of Muscle Car Review's photo caption, which I think will show that yet another source, which I'd already mentioned, says that only the headlight buckets are the same parts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I read that Chrysler used Dodge Fenders on the front of the Superbird, so the nose cone could probably fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is from an Allpar article on the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird.
    "Front fenders and a hood from the Coronet were grafted on the Belvedere body (the Dodge was more aerodynamic)."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, so, Coronet fenders, Belvedere body= Superbird. I get that. Most people don't know that the Satellite, Belvedere, Road Runner, Superbird were the same body, different head and taillights... but, what about the Daytona? It's all a bit confusing without an entire paragraph, and then a smaller one that clarifies the info

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the lack of info but I don't want to use too much from copyrighted material but if you go to Allpar the article is called "On The Wings of a Snow White...Dodge" The article tells all about how both cars were conceived and built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, anyone interested enough now knows where to go. Me? I just post and move on, sometimes someone will have something to add, but I've got better things to do than to read more waste of time articles to find the same info.

      Delete