Monday, May 31, 2021

I finally found the first car, the first police trap, the first airplane, and the first sidecar.... from the Lawson Wood "prehistoric" series,




from the 12 paintings in "Prehistoric Proverbs" by  Lawson Wood 
Quaint Ways in Quaint Days, A Series of 12 Water-Colour Drawings, published about 1907

The last time (only time) I'd ever run across one of his 'Prehistoric" series, 2 years ago, I couldn't find out anything else about them, and only found the two paintings, of the first stage coach and the first Bicycle. 



SO, now, I've posted 6 of the 12! Ha! I just saved you from buying the book, which, the least expensive copy online costs 85 dollars plus shipping. 



https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/search?q=lawson+wood  for the other Lawson Wood paintings, that I am just nuts over. He is one of my favorite artists because he combined humor with his art, and used innovation of primitive mechanical stuff to share his sense of humor

And while looking around to see if I could find more, I discovered that he was part of a private club for bohemian artists and journalists, and made this menu, when it came his turn, in 1906

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1485331

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic.Saving me time AND money!This Lawson Woods fellow is very talented.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flamin' Nora! Thanks for turning me on to this awesome talent.Pure Genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted a couple I found today

      Delete