Tuesday, June 01, 2021

It's been a long day

 Lately I get about 70 percent of the amount posted that I used to before the quarantine, now that I'm working a job that has me busy vs spending time at work blogging because there were many days when I finished for the day with hours left on the clock. Not many cool jobs like that, but there are a lot like that at car dealerships, where workload depends on customers. 

Anyway, I'm working an hour OT every day, instead of a 2nd job, to pay down my credit card bill, and today, after that, I spent a rare hour and a half working on my 69 Dodge in my garage, 30 minutes getting 5 gallons of the good stuff, low lead av gas blue, 100 octane. 

Then I cleaned in the engine bay, and put the drivers door back together, as I'd had to take it apart to attach the window to the mechanism for rolling up that the guys at JBA busted and didn't tell me about, last November. 

Yep, it's been 6 months or so since the last time I drove it, as fuel was 4.75 then. It's 5.50 now (the 100 octane avgas) so, that's why it doesn't get driven much. 

Someday I hope to be able to afford getting the 440 it was made with, rebuilt, and drive on regular ol 87 octane unleaded, which I can point out, is 4.10 a gallon. Not a big discount, from 5.50 for the 100 low lead, but you CAN get ol 87 everywhere there's a gas station (for now) and save 30 bucks for every tank of gas (vs what it would cost for a tank of 100 octane) 

After getting home around 630, I wasted time trying to get the damn Peacock app on my tv to see the Lost Speedways show, then ate while watching it on my laptop instead. After that it was about 730, grabbed a shower, and watched a little tv while looking around through email and surfing the web hoping to find something to post... but 9pm came around fast, with only the railcar to post, and the next image of how Ford execs chose color schemes for the 1953 palette. 

And that's how fast time flies, with damn little to show for it, and why I'm frustrated that ever since going back to work I get so little posted during the work week.  

6 comments:

  1. Jesse i thank you for what ever you have the time to post . I am disabled and can't even get up some days and as an old {very OLD } car guy myself i enjoy what ever you get to post and it is the first place i look at every day .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww shucks. Well, you're welcome, and that is why I get frustrated that I can't make time to post more. Byt he time I can retire, some 20 years from now, a LOT of guys older than me who enjoy the blog will be pushing up daisies, and not be around to enjoy the flood of stuff I can post with all darn day to blog.
      I have a bookshelf full of old magazines that I had time to read through, but not work on posting the cool stuff I came across.
      1949 Hot Rod through 1971 had a lot of stuff, and I made small post it's to mark each page.
      I just need a LOT of time to go back through them, and Car and Driver, Road and Track, and a couple other titles, of all the 50s and 60s... and post the cool things I found that deserve to be brought back up and enjoyed.
      Back in 2009-10 I did a little, and it was a LOT of fun.
      I cut out the Edelbrock ads of one promo/marketing series, and mounted them in a frame, and gave them to Vic Jr. He got a KICK out of that, and talked about how his dad had an artist work on that, and sent them out to the magazines.
      It's been a hell of a great hobby, being a car enthusiast, but I'm working on blogging while only the few great old car guys like your self are in the last laps of life.
      It really hits me how it's the passing of a generation, and a hobby, as us that enjoy the cars from the 50s and 60s are running out of affordable stuff, as the collectors went crazy on running up the prices.
      There are no cheap old Dodges, VW Bugs, Mustangs, etc.
      There are no kids who can go to a junkyard and grab parts and build a jalopy.
      But.... with this blog, I can share what I find for a while, and hopefully make getting online every day a bit more fun.
      Thanks for enjoying what I do!
      Tell me, what has been your journey through the car enthusiast world? Have any fun stories? Collect any cool parts?

      Delete
    2. Have you been reading along very long? And if you have, do any of the posts stand out as particularly memorable?

      Delete
  2. Just a quick note, I enjoy your blog alot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We appreciate the blog. Been visiting for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Has there been anything that stood out as quite remarkable and memorable?

      Delete