Thursday, February 02, 2023

here's the cost of a dealership replacement engine, shortblock, to the factory - because they have to build it, and not get a crate engine from inventory. Seems that event though the warranty is 10 years, the factory did not stock engines for warranty replacement

 

10,800... and that is nearly twice what the blue book is on the car, my commuter, a 2015 Veloster. 

the bottom section is an optional 1000 dollar kit of parts that they'd like to upsell me on, to make the reinstall go smoother for the techs, who then could throw away all the small stuff, and not have to keep track of it, and install all new stuff. 

I'm going to go through the itemized list of what is in the kit, but I can tell you, that spark plugs, and hose clamps, are in there. Fuck no I'm not paying for new hose clamps, and the spark plugs were just replaced 30,000 miles ago, so no, not paying for new ones of those, AGAIN, and since it's going to take time I don't have just now to see what else there is, I'll update this when I do

3 comments:

  1. Honestly Jesse, I am impressed you drive a Veloster as a daily driver. It is a reasonable choice for a car enthusiast on a budget - like me. A little out of the SUV and pickup crowd, but still practical if you have to go to the groceries. Also economical to keep, nothing fancy or flashy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in 2011 I finally had paid off other bills, and could afford to buy a new car, my first new car... at age 40. I compared the least expensive cars from the major manufacturers, and posted about it... of course. The veloster was the least expensive, and had the best warranty years. That was a lame car, no guts, and didn't have a good radio/speaker system. 3 years and 65k miles and I traded it in, and got a new one, for 25 less a month. But the new one (2015, the one I have now) had the upgrades I wanted, the turbo, the subwoofer, bluetooth phone to radio, and back up camera.
      So, I paid it off in 2021, and that pretty much sums it up

      Delete
  2. Parallel lives: Very similar story here, I have bought my first new car four years ago, at age 47.

    ReplyDelete