Wednesday, September 28, 2022

1965 Ford F-100 found on a ranch and restored



There was nothing all that special about the F-100 when it was sold to its original owner, a ranch hand in Winslow, Ariz., but Jim and Beth Burchill bought it from him 49 years later and took it home to join their collection in Dublin, Ont. It has a 352-cubic-inch V8 engine, good for 208 horsepower, and it’s now been restored to better-than-new condition.

“It had 94,000 miles on it and the paint was baked right off, but everything was original – the owner hadn’t replaced anything,” says Jim Burchill. “We took it totally apart, and every nut, bolt, washer, rivet is now in the exact same hole I took it out of. I marked them and wire-tied them before I sent them to the refinishers. It’s to keep it original, trying to preserve history.

“I’m going to lose points here because it’s basically over-restored. The paint was never as good underneath that truck when it came from the factory as it is now. They all had over-spray and undercoating splattered where it shouldn’t be. Authenticity is one thing, but why do that and have those spots rust in four or five years? I said I’d show it for a few years and then drive it but I’ve now got to the point where I don’t have the heart to do that to the truck. It doesn’t deserve to be ill-treated by driving it on our (rural Ontario) roads.”

No comments:

Post a Comment