John had immigrated to the United States and in 1931 opened El Morocco, a speakeasy at 154 East 54th Street in New York City. After prohibition was repealed, the El Morocco became one of the hottest nightclubs in New York attracting society, politicians, and celebrities.
John Perona was a big personality and wanted the most beautiful and powerful sports car on the boulevard, and he got his wish! The chassis of the car traveled the international car show circuit for a year before the aluminum body styled by Nuccio Bertone was fitted and was also featured in the September 1952 issue of Road & Track
the car’s long-time custodian was able to purchase the car out of a garage in Indiana in 1983, he had been obsessed with this particular car ever since he saw the chassis in the 1952 issue of Road & Track, and quickly seized the opportunity to purchase the car he had dreamed about for decades.
After the car left Italy the engine had been replaced with a 392 hemi, and the SIATA “truck box” transmission had been replaced by a Borg-Warner T10. It has Borrani 16” wire wheels, pop-up headlights, and a two-piece low-cut Lexan windshield
Since its restoration, the car has been seen and raced at prestigious events such as Pebble Beach, Monterey Historic races, Nassau Vintage Speed Week, Walter Mitty Challenge and more.