Monday, April 25, 2022

mighty big steam shovels, thank you Terry for sharing!



 and since I'm probably calling them by the wrong name, just move along. I don't need nor want to be corrected and told these are drag lines, or whatever. I don't need to be an expert on them. I'm just appreciating that something as big as these were self sufficient, likely steam boiler powered, and somehow, the coal was carried up into these in enormous quantities to keep them running all damn day long. Again, if I'm wrong, just move along. I don't want a lesson, link, correction, etc. Go find some blogger that wants a mr know it all to chime in. I am not in the mood tonight, or tomorrow

6 comments:

  1. Those are COOL! It's like someone took my entire garage and put it on wheels - well OK, tracks. No wait, these things are bigger than my garage!
    And I agree - If I want to know how they work (or find out they don't talk like in the books of my childhood) I can look it up. In fact I may just do that so I can find out where to see these in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shovel digs by pushing forward just like a person with a shovel. A back hoe digs by pulling back just like a person with a hoe. The bottom picture is indeed a shovel but I believe the upper photo is of a drag line. I have no idea if they are steam powered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and since I'm probably calling them by the wrong name, just move along. I don't need nor want to be corrected and told these are drag lines, or whatever. I don't need to be an expert on them. I'm just appreciating that something as big as these were self sufficient, likely steam boiler powered, and somehow, the coal was carried up into these in enormous quantities to keep them running all damn day long. Again, if I'm wrong, just move along. I don't want a lesson, link, correction, etc. Go find some blogger that wants a mr know it all to chime in. I am not in the mood tonight, or tomorrow

      Delete
    2. or they are excavators, and can push or pull material into the shovel.

      Delete
  3. Their function is to remove overburden from whatever it is that you are mining. Probably electric powered. Big Brutis at West Mineral Kan dwarfs both of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 200-B was eletric powered by a big cable and the class 24 was steam powered. There has been a dozen of 200-B produced, the class 24 was built for a Canadian coal mine in Alberta, it is the only one produced, and iti still exist because they could not move it out of the water till they drain the place in 1988.

    ReplyDelete