Monday, January 10, 2022

Who knew that the guy who wrote The Last Unicorn, also wrote a book about a cross country 5 hp, 2 stroke, Heinkel scooter ride, in 1963, with his buddy Phil?


https://www.abebooks.com/See-Outfit-Beagle-Peter-S-Ballantine/31064035290/bd

Peter Beagle is a recipient of the prestigious Hugo, Nebula, Locus, and Mythopoeic Awards, and a World Fantasy and Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America 2018 Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master, among many other literary achievements. He has given generations of readers the magic of unicorns, haunted cemeteries, lascivious trees and disgruntled gods. A prolific author, his best-known work is The Last Unicorn, a fantasy novel, which Locus Magazine subscribers voted the number five "All-Time Best Fantasy Novel" in 1987. Fellow Hugo and Nebula-award-winning author Neil Gaiman has described Beagle’s A Fine and Private Place as his “I-wish-I'd-written-that-first" novel. In addition to writing novels, short stories, poems, and songs, Peter S. Beagle is also known for his work on screen, including the screenplay he co-wrote for the 1978 Ralph Bakshi-animated version of The Lord of the Rings.

in the reviews for this book, 

First, I found it to be well-written, with some refreshingly lyrical prose interspersing an otherwise functional narrative. Second, the subject matter was interesting, both intellectually and for entertainment, chronicling the cross-country-by-scooter adventure and all it has to teach us. Third, the text was rife with good, witty humor, which never hurts a book's appeal.


Because of his 1964 book I See By My Outfit - or just the knowledge that there was a book of this nature - I set out from New Orleans for Santa Cruz, California in 1979 on a four-stroke Honda 185 Twinstar motorcycle. And even though I braved the 30 days it took from point A to point B, there was still something lacking, for Beagle and his friend Phil, had documented a pawn shop-dotted trip from New York City to the Dumbarton Bridge at San Francisco on similarly-powered Heinkel scooters. They would forever be my standard for gutsy two-stroke adventure travelling. It is the book you want in your knapsack as you meander across the map looking for people of a different stripe. This non-fiction tale rates right up there with Kerouac's semi-fictional On The Road. It is the story of men against the highway. It is the stuff of a traveler's wandering dreams.


Wow!!!! This book brings you back to another time and another place! This book is required reading if you own and ride a scooter! This is the Mother of all road trip books! A very enjoyable read. You will want to hit he road on an adventure of your own after reading this!

5 comments:

  1. sounds like a good read , will order from thriftbooks , used or overstock books at low prices . have you checked your facebook page lately ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered my copy from Amazon.... I really ought to shop around for better prices!
      I just checked my facebook page, and don't know what you want me to look for, and on what Facebook page, I have 3. One for nose art, one that's my personal page for sharing EVERY thing, one for adventurers, one for my high school class, and one for "justacarguy" reposts so people realize they can look at just the best of, without looking at the blog. Oh, and another for "justaacarguy" because there are facebook pages for groups, and pages that aren't restricting who can post on it.
      So, which page, and why?

      Delete
    2. Oh! The Kyran Clune tip toward the Flagler Cycle Car? I saw that

      Delete
    3. Built here in Cheboygan years ago , we talked about my Grandmothers house in Sidnaw a while back . Google neverwashaul you might like that house on wheels .

      Delete
    4. Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Completely!
      I posted a bunch about the NeverWasHaul https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/neverwas-haul-is-name-of-this-vehicle.html

      Delete