Monday, June 07, 2021

I bet you didn't hear of all the Vector odds and ends getting auctioned off, all the engineering drawings, left over body parts, prototypes, etc. The rest went to the dumpster


the Vector Aeromotive warehouse in Wilmington, California, was abandoned after the founder, Jerry Wiegert died in January 2021, aged 76.

 He had started Vector Aeromotive with a singular vision: to build the ultimate American supercar. He probably accomplished that, just not on the same scale as the Ford GT 40, Lambo Countach, etc... mass production supercars from household names. 

The asset auction was held online. 

Robert Lewis, a longtime fan of the brand, bought some body molds, essentially by accident. “I wasn’t there to see what I was actually bidding on,” he said. “And there was only one side shot of the body. I ended up bidding on it. And it turned out to be to two bodies. So they did not even see the other body that was right next to it."

Workers began clearing the warehouse out. 

“The head of the cleanup crew told me it was all garbage. So I’m like, ‘Could I start going through it and taking stuff?’
 He said, ‘Just don’t slow them down. If you slow them down, I’m kicking you out. I need this building empty now.’”

 Everything was there: blueprints, business plans, rejected loan applications, lawsuit filings. Body shells that had been auctioned to the highest bidder. The dream of Vector Aeromotive ended in a rush to clear any trace of the company from the building it called home. Anything that wasn’t claimed would be relegated to the dump.



https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a36357472/how-vector-aeromotives-ambitious-history-was-relegated-to-the-dumpster/

4 comments:

  1. incredible and poor story...i like the "atypic" design of vector

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy! I actually saw that stuff being hauled off on 3 or 4 trailers. I had NO idea of what it was but it was cool looking stuff. Old molds in BAD shape and dumpsters full of body parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow... you're a witness to the end of a business. Me, I'd just like a cool part, or engineering drawing, for the garage. Just another interesting bit of conversation piece.

      Delete
  3. That is a very sad end to a well meant dream, I'm glad that at least some of it was saved, Thanks for sharing Jesse.

    ReplyDelete