Monday, February 15, 2021

1925 Linn Haven, a private coach used as a mobile office while driving around to impress potential customers to buy into the Linn Tractor company as distributors. (Thanks TokyoTon!)


In 1925 H.H. Linn commenced construction of a $17,000 private coach dubbed the 'Linn Haven' for use as a mobile office while he traversed the country drumming up attention for the Linn tractor.

After Linn sold his share in the firm to the Republic Motor Truck Co. in 1927, he traveled up and down the eastern seaboard in his coach which continued to be manned by his chauffeur and personal steward, Charles E. Gage.

After Linn's untimely 1937 passing his estate sold the coach to Purcel Kingsley whose Hudson River Night Line operated a showboat steamship called the Buccaneer.

Kingsley modified the bus into a roving billboard/shuttle equipped with a search light and sound system in which he picked up customers for Kate Parson's "Show Boat Revue” a risqué burlesque that took place onboard the Buccaneer once it left its mooring at Manhattan’s Battery Park. 

During Franklin Delano Roosevelt's 1932 presidential campaign, the Linn Haven ferried the future President and his entourage around Manhattan.


In the mid 1980's, James M Weller of Lake George, NY, began the restoration of the iconic Linn Haven, the World's First RV. The project would take he and his team nearly twenty years and a million dollars to complete before bankruptcy forced Weller to sell the Linn Haven at auction for a huge loss

looks like an airplane hood ornament, and E&J headlights. Cool 3 piece can set on the running board

https://www.reddit.com/r/campers/comments/l6f4x2/this_vintage_bus_camper_conversion/

https://www.facebook.com/1925LinnHavenHighwayPullman/

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/s/six_wheel/six_wheel.htm

9 comments:

  1. Saw that at a vintage car show in Bennington, VT years ago. I understand it was transport for an entertainment troupe of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am James Weller's daughter and I'm looking for the vehicle. Do you have any information or photos from this event?

      Delete
    2. No one has commented on this in 2 years. I have nothing held back, what I could find, I posted and shared. I do hope you succeed in locating it!

      Delete
  2. More info and color pictures here... looks like it was a Goodyear bus
    http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/s/six_wheel/six_wheel.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Six Wheel was manufactured by Safe Way, but the original chassis was designed by Goodyear and licensed to Safe Way

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm Elisa, my dad is James Weller, I think you got some of this info from my facebook page. I'm trying to find the antique VIN of the vehicle which I had and have misplaced. Film credit to anyone who can help me locate it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the only facebook post I used was https://www.facebook.com/1925LinnHavenHighwayPullman/

      Delete
    2. That's my page :) If you come across anything, please email me at elisaallechant@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. I 1st correct I am THEragtimenightmare OR Ragz Obrian at piano, and believe the fact or not COUSIN Holman Harry Linn was born a Flannery, cousin to my mother and her 6 bros. Cousin Holman's parents divorced, cousin Holman and bro. Ellery's mother remarried a Robert Linn.....I LOVE the "Linn" tracktor story thus also the motor home story, I'D ADORE to see experience the motor home meet who owns it!! I do regret the horns etc on the roof!!!

    ReplyDelete