Sunday, February 14, 2021

something interesting to read, as it's a view into the life and world of an amazing machinist/tool craftsman/artist.


Here's the interesting thing to read, among the photos of her fantastic work:

I have to talk about an uncomfortable topic today, and that is: saying no. It is something that is really very difficult to do, but as an artist, sometimes I have to.

This past week I told someone that though I very much appreciated their consideration for a project, I didn’t feel I was the right fit. In return I received the most scathing email I’ve ever been sent. It shook me up a little bit, ok a lot. This person is a complete stranger but the personal attack to me was harsh and cutting.

Over the years, I have had to learn to say no to projects. That is hard for me because I always want to say yes to people. I have had to say no to family, to friends, to other makers, to celebrities, to magazines and even television shows. There are many reasons artists need to be able to say no.



Sometimes I don’t have the skills to do a certain project. Sometimes I don’t have the right tooling. Some metals cut differently than others, some I cannot engrave at all. Sometimes my style and artistic ability is vastly different than the requested piece or style of art and I absolutely won’t copy the work of other artists.

There are personal aspects that also encompass an artist’s life that we may not want to necessarily divulge to everyone as to why need need to say no. I do other work aside from engraving. This year, my daughter is doing virtual school and I need to be available to help her. This past year I’ve had several health problems including surgery and other ongoing issues. I’m also one person, with two hands, only able to take on so much work at a time.


All of this to say, there are many reasons why someone might need to say no to work. If I have to say no, it’s not because I don’t like you. I’ve had to say no to my best friend on projects, to my parents and even to my husband!

I’m sure I speak for many artists when I say, we want to make things for people and collaborate whenever we can. Thank you in advance for understanding when sometimes we need to say no




By the way, proof that the great ones are all taken? Jenny has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, met Jay Leno, and works on her own Grand Wagoneer, and has a vintage '66 camper trailer. 



here's proof that leaving a note on a vehicle you want to buy can result in the owner dringing up to your house years later, ready to part with it, because you left a note




I'm probably going to not be able to communicate this well, so, apology first. 

These photos are of  JBower, engraver, of Michigan. Coincidentally, I am JBowers, (blogger, car guy,) also, of Michigan. I think the coincidence is a hoot. 

via https://blog.lostartpress.com/2021/02/14/jenny-bower-engraver-the-real-deal/

3 comments:

  1. Nice work. Both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to admit I was caught off guard until the second to the last paragraph when I read I've even had to say no, even to my husband. I felt awkward just assuming it was a man as I read it. As a man with four successful daughters I should know better than to assume that. Her work and this story are great. Once again Jesse, touche!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!
      4 daughters? Wow, were the teen years as hard to deal with as I've heard? What did you do to help them past teen life's challenges to get them pointed in the best direction for success?

      Delete