Saturday, November 14, 2020

The 1977 Pontiac Can Am wasn't supposed to be a rare vehicle, but because the only mold that made the car's unique rear spoiler broke early in the production run, it ceased production literally overnight with just 1,130 units built

The cars were sent to Motortown for their build by the Famous Jim Wangers back in 1977

Pontiac was planning on building 2,500 cars for the 77 model year, and the orders from new buyers exceeded 5,000 units. 

However, before they could fulfill all of the orders, the custom mold for the unique three-piece spoiler mysteriously broke and production was halted. 

4 comments:

  1. 2500 cars still seems like a small number to me. The other thing that I find curious is why didn't Pontiac build another mold? I find it hard to believe for the lack of money that the upper echelon thought differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the Gran Prix was taking a hit. As soon as the Can Am orders flooded in, the Gran Prix orders didn't, and one of those two links talked about it

      Delete
    2. Oh. well I never really liked the Can Am that much anyway, but I see that companies have to cater to the customer, so that was the way it went for the Gran Prix. Too bad, I liked them a lot.

      Delete
  2. I always wanted one since they were new

    ReplyDelete