Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Did I ever tell you about my 1969 Super Bee?

I found a classifieds listing in 1994 for two Super Bees, a 68 that didn't run, and a 69 that did. 

I called, and told the seller to drive it over, and if it made it the 60 miles, I'd buy it. 

It arrived... and not knowing cars as well then as I do know, I was easily convinced that after that drive it needed to run while parked for a couple minutes to cool down by keeping the water pump circulating the coolant. Yeah, that's a lie, and you probably knew it.

The first of many problems were that easily found, to be self evident to a more experienced car guy... 

the seller didn't want the car to turn off while he was there, as it wouldn't turn back on (I discovered the moment he was gone) because he'd put a dead battery in the car so he wouldn't lose one that worked. A 35 dollar issue in 1994. 

That was the first problem, rapidly followed by the discovery that there was no response to the ignition key, as a button had been installed under the dash to make the starter turn over, which was instantly followed by the discovery that the neutral safety switch wire was cut, and the car would start in any gear, which was instantly followed by the discovery that the gear shifter (automatic in the steering column) didn't stick in Park... it often slipped to Reverse. 

So, solving one problem instantly made the next appear in a bad way. I believe that's an application of Puddler's Law or Finagle's Law.

But let me back up... the sale details, were that I pay 2600 cash, and get a receipt for 100 dollars, so he'd have a lot of beer money, and I'd pay less registration fee. Solid plan.

After purchasing, I then had time to look it over, and found, there were no two matched tires, or rims. there were 4 garbage tires with no tread, and of 4 different brands, with 4 odd ball unique rims. 

This seller had unloaded all the junk he had onto this Super Bee to make the most money for his trash (and dead battery) that he emptied out of his garage. 

The radiator over flow was a Tide bottle, the radiator was held in place with clothes line, not bolts. The PCV hose had been replaced with garden hose. The passenger side floor rust was closed off by a stop sign. The back bumper was held on by stove bolts, not proper carriage bolts. Two rims had only 4 lug nuts.

2 comments:

  1. Now please continue the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What part, that sums up my purchase of the car, and the condition it was in. I had the car for about 7 years, and upgraded or replaced nearly everything that unbolted. I put in new carpet, new gas tank, new shocks, leaf springs, rims, tires, brakes, heads, upgraded to factory front disc brake, upgraded from a 22 to the 26 inch radiator for big blocks by having the radiator mount section removed and one installed that I hack sawed out of a junk yard car... I replaced the brake lines, fuel line, emergency brake cable, idler arm, Pitman arm, tie rods, upgraded the high beams to Hella hi beams . I drove it in 1995 from Michigan to San Diego, and in 96 drove it to Maryland and back, and drag raced it at the Mason Dixon Dragway. In 1997 I drove it back to Michigan, and back, and in 1999 I drove it to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. I sold it after buying my 1969 R/T, which is the same car, essentially, but with a stick shift, bucket seats, and a bigger engine. Better in most regards, and I've kept my R/T since 2002

      Delete