Saturday, January 22, 2022

2022 has been rife with celebs dying, and I wanted to memorialize one that no newspaper or magazine, or Entertaintiment Weekly is going to mention... Marlan Davis. Hot Rod's tech editor for most of my life.

 

honestly, I didn't read many of his tech articles, I'm not that focused on cams, transmissions, and I don't give a shit about Chevy heads. 

But damn it, I respect the work. The world was a better place with Marlan deciphering the engine trigonometry and stuff. 

Hs started working for Hot Rod as a mailroom gopher in the summer of 77, and spent 42 years focused on everything mechanical, and it was luck that landed his family as the neighbor of Dick Day, publisher of Hot Rod in the late 70s, but it was tenacity and extraordinary work ethic that made him the exceptional stand out in Hot Rod's pool of talented employees. 

https://www.motortrend.com/features/remembering-marlan-davis

Fyi, Bob D'Olivio passed away in July 2021

I'm not familiar with him, or his work, but I'm certain many of you are, as he worked for Petersen Publishing from 1951 to 1996

Because he worked for Petersen, and not Hot Rod specifically, he also photograhed for all the magazines in the Petersen Publishing company, who published Guns & Ammo, Teen, Photographic, Skin Diver, and dozens more. 

As a result, D'Olivo swam with Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan of movie fame); photographed Sandra Dee and Annette Funicello at home; created scenes for The Beach Boys, Ricky Nelson, Fabian, and more; worked with Zsa Zsa Gabor, Natalie Wood, Lloyd Bridges, James Garner, and Jack LaLanne; and even photographed Ronald Reagan at his ranch post-presidency.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/david-freiburger-remembers-bob-dolivo

1 comment:

  1. I seems to me that there are a lot of people, 'famous' people dying lately. Leaving in bunches. And as a side note, as a 65 year old, I think in five or ten years you won't be able to recognize this world.

    ReplyDelete