Saturday, January 22, 2022

I learned today that Joe Sherlock had already written his goodbye post, it was posted today, here it is, very eloquent

Recent health events have led me to conclude that it's time for me to stop blogging. I've decided to disconnect the battery, drain the oil and put The View Through The Windshield up on blocks.

In early December, I suffered a major heart attack and arrived at the hospital by ambulance. Surgery was attempted and was stopped because my other organs were affected. After numerous attempts to increase my blood pressure and organ function, I elected to be given palliative care only and arrived home a week later. I am now in hospice care. My prognosis is grim, so any prayers or good thoughts you'd like to send my way would be appreciated.

Hospice is doing a good job for me and I have lots of family support. While I can't get around without an electric mobility scooter, I am relatively pain-free, although I am taking a bit of supplemental oxygen as I write this.

I can no longer drive or walk more than a few feet without getting winded. Sadly, there will be no more drives for me in my old '39 Plymouth coupe, nor am I able to work the controls of my model train layout.

Most of us do not leave behind lasting markers of our presence on this earth. The garden projects, home remodeling work, business reports, spreadsheets and other little footprints disappear with the passage of time. We can only hope that the good deeds we've done, the lessons and values we've passed along to our children and grandchildren and/or the societal changes we've helped to create will somehow make an impact on subsequent generations.

When one visits the great cathedrals of Europe and marvels at their massive magnificence, a little research will often disclose the name of each master builder. But not much else. Yet, what makes these structures so interesting are the details which reveal themselves upon close examination. The 15th Century artists who carved detailed cornices, lifelike statuary, gilded ceiling bosses and fanciful gargoyles at York Minster are long dead and their names forgotten. But they live on through their work over five centuries later.

This blog is perhaps my version of those gilded ceilings and fanciful gargoyles, and I've asked that it remains available as an archive, including my collection of essays and car drawings.

I sincerely thank those loyal readers who have been 'regulars' at The View Through The Windshield as well as the many who have offered favorable comments and encouragement during my blogging years. I wish all of you the best that life has to offer.

Happy Motoring. God Bless. Godspeed. Joe Sherlock

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of the blog til today. Many blogs have more views that comments. I guess people just can't be bothered. Too effing busy scrolling. Anyway, thanks for the effort, Joe. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll now have another interesting blog to read.Thanks.
    Sorry he's gone,dang life anyways.

    ReplyDelete