Friday, December 25, 2020

In 1962, Connie was in her early 20s and a flight attendant for Trans Canada airlines, and saw a 1962 F-85 convertible in the showroom. She said, ‘Dad, I just saw a car I love’. It inspired her to buy, and put 300,000 miles on her 1967 Cutlass Supreme convertible in 53 years of ownership


In 1967, Connie had saved up the money to finally buy her Oldsmobile.

 Since she had first seen it several years before, the F-85 and the more upscale Cutlass had grown from compact cars to midsize ones. According to Connie, “They just got even better!”

After working out all the details ahead of time, she drove over to Wolfe Chevrolet-Oldsmobile in Vancouver in April of 1967 and ordered this Cutlass Supreme, equipped with the standard 330 cu in 320-hp,with optional two-speed variable-vane torque converter Jetaway transmission.


Not surprisingly, proper maintenance has been key in the survival of this Cutlass over its many miles traveled through all types of weather. Connie says, “I use Chevron 94-octane gas, and every 3,000 miles I have the oil changed and the chassis lubed.”

Aside from an electronic ignition conversion for the original distributor, the Oldsmobile remains stock, down to its four-wheel drum brakes and AM radio, and at 81-years-old Connie and her Cutlass are still seen regularly on the streets of Maple Ridge.

She says, “I’ve never had an accident or gotten a speeding ticket in all these years, but I almost hit someone once. He stepped out in front of me just so I’d stop. ‘I want to buy your car!’ he said. And I answered "Well, it’s not for sale. I bought her to keep her for my entire life.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment