Monday, December 21, 2020

Albert Menasco (born in 1897) dropped out of high school in Los Angeles to become a wing-walking stunt man


He still served as a civilian instructor for aircraft engineering for the Signal Corps.

After the war, he founded Menasco Motors and developed the inverted, in-line, air-cooled engine. This design would go on to win major air races and Albert would tour the world with a traveling air show. In the 1920s, his travels took him to Japan where he not only showcased his planes, but also toured Japanese automotive, motorcycles, and aircraft manufacturers. His company Menasco Motors would go on long after he retired eventually it would be the company NASA turned to develop and build the landing gear for the Space Shuttle.

He was a very interesting man, inventor, car dealer, best man at Clark Gable's wedding to Kay Spreckles, vintner, and a true adventurer. He also famously race his own midget cars which can be seen in some of these photos. While most of his photos focused on the air races and aircraft Albert had an obvious passion for cars and motorcycles and these images are an amazing window into the world of early motorsports in Japan.


https://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2020/12/albert-menasco-tours-japan-in-1920s.html

https://sandiegoairandspace.org/collection/item/albert-s.-menasco-personal-papers

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/albums/72157644632303847

If this seems familiar, it's because I posted about one of the guys in his racing team, Art Smith https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/05/art-smith-famous-for-being-young-stunt.html 

4 comments:

  1. Can anybody tell me what Menasco middle name was. All I have is 'Albert S' and I wish to record him in detail.
    Arthur W J G Ord-Hume (Dr)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll send me a link when you're project is complete so I can share it with everyone! My name is Jesse, and my email is jbohjkl@yahoo.com

      Delete
  2. Please does anybody know what his middle name was. All I have is Albert S Menasco and I wish to record his achievements in detail.

    ReplyDelete