Monday, July 27, 2020

I love comparison photos to decide on the better looking rims


I have this same question for my 69 R/T, and 18 years later, still haven't had the cash to do a thing about it... but that's ok. I still haven't reached a decision either.

BUT now that the tires that have been on it since 2002 are needing to be replaced in the next 12 to 24 months due to drying out (sure as hell haven't been worn out! I think I only put about 8k miles on it since I bought it in 2002, as it's got a high compression solid lifter 426 wedge in it, until I can afford a rebuild of the 440 that came with it)

And if I'm going to replace the rubber, I need to decide first, is it time to switch to steelies, in a 17 or 18 inch rim? At the same time get the front lugs replaced to get rid of the damn left hand threads

https://www.facebook.com/groups/996045710517424/permalink/2952744758180833

6 comments:

  1. Went through this dilemma a month ago upping rim size & tire width on a project nothing like yours, but found new steelies to be just as costly as aftermarket fancy pant rims. I bought the aftermarkets as they were actually less money. In your case my thoughts lean towards the steelies & maybe Redlines, it's a solid, classic look. (2 cents)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally like Magnum wheels, but for this application I prefer the steelies with hub caps. Also, I think wheels larger than 17" are too big for this model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steel wheels, hub caps and red band tyres.
    What ever size you choose, keep them in proportion with the car.

    Oh, and lower it....just a little bit.

    And ah, the 440...bore it out, have the heads shaved and flowed.

    And a cam, a big fat one.

    Oh and..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steelies for a Roadrunner, Magnums for a GTX. I think 17" is as big as you need for a classic muscle car without looking unnatural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, what's your thoughts on Coronet R/Ts? I've got Magnum 500s on it now, that came with it of course, but I'd like to go with either steelies, Torque Thrusts, Cragar SS, or Centerline Auto Drags. Not for years from now of course, but you know, some day

      Delete
  5. I'd vote for the Torque Thrusts or maybe black steelies with no hub caps or trim rings.

    ReplyDelete