Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Union Pacific's Big Boy No. 4014, has passed its hydrostatic tests.

A hydro pump unit maintained the Maximum Allowable Working Pressure (MAWP) of 300 PSI within the 4014's boiler, per regulation, while members of the UP Steam Team hammered test bolts.

The hydro test required that the boiler be subjected to a pressure 25 percent above the MAWP – further taking the pressure up to 375 PSI

The next step in the inspection process is steam testing and continued reassembly. "We have confirmed that the pressure vessel is solid, now we will generate that pressure in the form of 300 PSI steam pressure," Dickens said. After the steam testing is finished, the Steam Team will complete the final pieces of the Big Boy so they can fire her up!

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/
https://twitter.com/UnionPacific

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jesse, thanks for the link to the U.P Steam trains...If you recall I sent pictures of when one of the Big Boys stopped in Boise 2 yrs ago.
    I just signed up to their schedule for the 150th anniversary rides..
    I sprung for a trip with my little brother to Boise, now I'm going to see if he's interested in another adventure, I'll send pictures....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sure welcome! I recall that!
      Cool!

      Delete