Thursday, March 21, 2019

A look behind the scenes, getting emails from people

this morning, just now, I recieved:

Searching around I see you posted
Shovelnose and Handlebar.
That was my dad's aircraft that he flew for all 85 of his missions.
Thanks for keeping history alive.

Peter Kenny
..............................................................................................................

I did a lot of searching online for cool nose art, and one of the things I noticed was that the Bob Hope USO tour popped up now and then, with some plane that had a tribute nose art about Bob, and Jerry Colonna

I posted all the Bob Hope nose art planes, on both my blog, and then I realized that there wasn't a good facebook page of the best nose art from WW2, so Shovelnose and Handlebar is both at https://www.facebook.com/1111861348900582/photos/a.1111873242232726/1115668725186511/?type=3&permPage=1
and https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2016/08/this-is-just-terrific-shovelnose-and.html

The accompanying stories though, were not transferred to the facebook page, but were are on the blog.


A photo recon P-51 in the 10th PRG, 12-E Squadron, belonged to Lt Ed Kenny

Hope who wrote about it in his 1945 book So This is Peace. In it he wrote: "From Darmstadt we went to Furth, and did an hour or so of stuff for the HQ men of the 10th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, a P-51 Mustang fighter squadron [sic]. The first thing I saw when I landed was a Mustang with me and Shovelsnoot [sic] painted across the nose. My attorneys are still trying to contact the pilot, Lt. E. J. Kenny. I'd have dealt with him myself, but he was a pretty big guy and I wanted to see Berlin with both eyes."

So, I get one HELL of a kick out of hearing from family of the pilots, crew of bombers, etc when they come across these... and I just realized I hadn't mentioned this before. I thought YOU readers might get a kick out of learning that sometimes this added benefit of hearing from family of the WW2 military happens. 

2 comments:

  1. It's your 'car'ma man!Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Damn shame, Lt Kenny was still alive when I posted that, but, I didn't know and didn't heard from his son until now, about 5 or 6 months after he died. So, that's kinda a bummer.

      Delete