Friday, October 27, 2017

Salute of the day to Green Bay Police Officer Daryl Robinson


On Monday, police received a call from staff at Howe Elementary School about a student who had just turned eight-years-old that day, but the boy had no one to pick him up from school.

"They said that his mother was incarcerated and there was no one on the emergency contact to pick him up," Officer Robinson says.

Robinson got a hold of the boy's grandfather and got permission to take the boy to McDonald's.

"So we brought the eight-year-old to a squad. He'd never been in a police car before and was very excited to ride in one," Officer Robinson says. "We gave him some Packer cards and little Green Bay Police tattoo. And then I brought him to McDonald's, got him a sandwich and then brought him home, turned him over to his grandfather and he had some other siblings there as well."

The owners of a locally-owned McDonald's had given officers free cheeseburger coupons to hand out during certain situations.

"He was excited, yeah. Looking at the toys they put in the Happy Meals. Just excited to hang out with a police officer and get away for a little bit," Robinson says.

Officer Robinson knows how this little boy feels. Former Green Bay Police Captain Bill Bongle showed that same kindness to a young Robinson.

"When I put him in a squad car and we were going to McDonald's, it brought back a lot of memories from when I was growing up. And Bongle was there in my neighborhood and he'd bring me to the gas station and we would get candy or whatever," Robinson remembers. "I think I met him on one of my birthdays when I was younger and he was, he always came around. If I needed someone to talk to or anything he was always there, helping me out. And he's the reason I wanted to go in law enforcement. I wanted the opportunity to do for another kid that he did for me."

http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Green-Bay-Police-Officer--453042553.html
http://wnep.com/2017/10/26/officer-helps-boy-celebrate-birthday-when-parents-dont-show-up-at-school/

No comments:

Post a Comment