Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Pixar production designer Bob Pauley got started as a teen working in his moms graphic design shop, drawing radio fronts for a JC Whitney subcontractor



Bob Pauley first joined Pixar Animation Studios in 1993 at the beginning of production on “Toy Story,” the studio’s first feature film, as a character designer and sketch artist. During the production of “Toy Story,” he contributed some of the most formative and iconic character design work on Buzz Lightyear. Following “Toy Story,” Pauley served as art director on “A Bug’s Life” and a production designer on “Monster’s, Inc.”

Always interested in automotive design, Pauley also played a critical creative role in the production of Disney•Pixar’s Golden Globe®-winning film “Cars.” As production designer, he was instrumental in the design of many of the film’s characters and environments, drawing inspiration from a life-long love of cars and research trips to various auto shows and Route 66. After completing work on “Cars,” Pauley continued his work as a production designer for the Academy Award®-winning “Toy Story 3.”

https://pixarartcollection.com/pages/bob-pauley


Found in Dec 7th Autoweek issue
http://press.lacaixa.es/socialprojects/exhibition-pixar-caixaforum-madrid-eng__816-c-19761__.html?obj=816,c,19761&view=photo&pos=11

2 comments:

  1. I always knew you were destined for greatness. It’s so funny, you and your Mom’s shop just popped into my mind - and I knew you had to have ended up doing brilliantly at Pixar. I’m the production artist that almost lost a finger on the light table in a freak accident way back then. I hope you and your whole family are wildly happy, Bob!
    Joan Carlson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, I'm the blogger that found this story and shared it with his readers... Bob isn't likely to ever even learn that my blog exists.... if you want to communicate with him, it will be a lot likelier if you look him up on facebook or twitter.
      Artists and illustrators are so remarkably gifted and create so many things that I adore, that when I learn of those that have drawn something with vehicles, like Armand Baltazar, J Mays, Dave Deal, Brian Kessinger, John Nevarez, Mark Page, and others, I post about them here on my blog.
      I share the amazing art with my readers.
      Thank you for taking the time to comment here, I'd love to see your art too!

      Delete