Wednesday, May 31, 2017

a different way of jumpstarting I haven't heard of before, but Popular Mechanics says THIS is the way to do it right

Connect the batteries, good battery car off. Not running.

Then:
Turn on the car with the fully charged battery and let it idle for roughly five to 10 minutes.

Turn off the engine and remove the cables

Start the car with the dead battery. If it starts, let it idle for at least 20 minutes, or go on a five-mile drive so the battery can recharge. If it still won't start, repeat the process, or go buy a new battery.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/technology/a26549/car-battery-how-to/

My advice is to never jumpstart any one else. I've had to replace my alternator because giving a jump start to a person that I didn't know, who I never saw again, resulted in blowing the diodes in my alternator (Mopar have a different type without the built in voltage regulator - in old muscle cars, than GM or Ford types I've heard)

So I had to blow 60 bucks on a new alternator.

So don't give anyone a jump start, or do the smartest thing, remove the good battery and put it in the car that has a bad one, get that one running, then get the batteries back to the right vehicles without letting those battery cables touch ANYTHING. Yes, it takes an overabundance of caution, but done right, carefully, no one has to replace broken parts. Both cars drive away. 

2 comments:

  1. Most people don't carry jumper cables anymore, including myself. I stopped carrying them decades ago.

    The better solution, if you like to help out your fellow drivers, is to keep a jumper pack in your trunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats a fact. Or if you're in the city, a AAA card.

      Delete