Sunday, March 26, 2023

I just got a comment from someone that talked to Jimi Hendrix

which reminded me, that over on facebook I asked the very few people on my facebook friends list;
"have you ever witnessed a historic event"

But, I think you guys are far more likely to be able to answer that. 

When I just got that comment from Spirit, who talked to Jimi for a couple minutes, it made me realize, that meeting legends, that too is in the same category as witnessing a historic event. 

So, if you'd like to light up my day, drop a note in the comments about either the legend you've met, or historic event you witnessed. 

I can't think of but one that I've witnessed, the 50th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor, when I was sitting at S12 (Sub Base Pearl Harbor pier #12) over by Beemans, getting off duty the morning of Dec 7th, 1991, and President Bush drove by, and headed over to surface side of the base to see the Mighty Mo, then over to the Arizona Memorial. After he got off the base we were allowed to go on about our day, as when a president is around, no one gets to show their face anywhere it might make the secret service nervous, I suppose. OR, the Navy didn't want us filthy enlisted bubbleheads to let the superior race of world leaders get a glimpse of our stupid damn bell bottom dungarees, and dirty white dixie cup idiotic sailor toppers. To call that moronic thing a hat is a disservice to head coverings with a single purpose of keeping the sun out of your eyes. 

As I was saying, once the Pres got out of the way, we were allowed the freedom to move about our military base again, and I had decided to get a bit of looking around on that historic morning, so I went back to the barracks, changed into civies, hopped in my truck, and drove over to see the Mo. While I was about, I saw two really old guys with VFW hats on, and offered them my chauffer services.... yeah, they were both survivors of the Japanese bombing, and not many people ever survived a dedicated attack like that was. We talked a bit while heading over to the Mo, and none of us could get a fucking tour. Them guys who were being celebrated that very day, on that historic anniversary, and me, a active duty sailor, crewing on the sub across the bay. Stupid to even consider that us 3 were turned away without a tour, seriously. I've given hundred of people a tour when my sub pulled into other ports. It's what you do when visiting other places, well, it was before 9-11 anyway. 

I guess that's the only moment of history I've witnessed that I can remember. As for legends, I don't recall ever talking to one. I've seen a lot of legends, but none of them had any reason to spend time getting entertained by me. Carroll Shelby, Billy Gibbons, Barris, Linda Vaughn, Stan Lee, Robert Downey Jr, and every other A list star that has been in Hall H during Comic Con in the past 12 years. Oh, I have talked to Gene Winfield a couple times. Great guy! 

I was watching tv when the Challenger blew up, and had the news on the morning of 9-11 before going to work. I don't think that watching a historic moment live on tv counts at all. So, don't mention those. 

Oh, by the way, one of my co-workers in that last job had a very very cool experience that impressed me, he pointed to his right hand, and said, "that hand shook John Wayne's hand" and that stuck with me. He was a little kid in an airport when John Wayne walked by, and his mom, knowing how amazing that it would be for the rest of his life, stopped John Wayne, and said, "please, will you shake his hand?' And made it happen. That's one great mom. 

5 comments:

  1. Well, Let's see: I once shook hands with Muhammad Ali, felt like a baseball glove! Large and soft! Also with Parnelli Jones at Indianapolis Raceway Park; I have a pic of me standing beside Benny Parson's with his arm around my shoulder, a really nice guy. Met him a couple of times. Met, spoke with, sat and had a meal with, Garrison Keillor and the cast of A Prairie Home Companion on several APHC cruises. And I knew my Dad, who landed on Omaha Beach in Sept. 1944 and fought across France, Belgium, and into Germany! He was still in Europe when I was born.. Events: I was in the Talladega infield the day Mark Donohue set this record "On August 9, 1975, Mark Donohue set the closed course speed record at Talladega Superspeedway driving a Porsche 917-30. He averaged 221.160 mph around the circuit, reaching a top speed of 241 mph at the end of the straightaways." It was impressive! In 1964, at Great Meadows NJ, I was there when Don Garlits was the first to run over 200 MPH in the quarter mile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! Ali! Legend. (drops mic)
      There will only ever be one Muhammad Ali.
      It does not change the accomplishments of the others, but historically, speed records have been and will be broken.
      Well, I hope you got your dad to write his biography, or, that you or your family will write it. That's serious amazing to survive that sort of WW2 action. Being a mechanic on a South Pacific Island, not so much, know what I mean?
      Did you read the memoirs of George Rarey? https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015/02/i-had-not-known-p-47s-had-nose-art-too.html
      Sure, MANY guys have written theirs, and they all are amazing, but Rarey illustrated his, and died, and his family put it all together in a book. I bought a copy, it's amazing. Looks like a pilots logbook, Rarey was a P47 pilot, and nose art artist. His book starts years before the war, when he met his girlfriend, through getting into pilots school, married, transferred to the front, dogfights, barracks life etc. Very thorough, very in person.
      Anyway, I hope your dad's adventures get written down for posterity, and for your families descendents who someday will be really proud of their ancestor, and be able to read what and when, even include it in their family tree project in school

      Delete
  2. Maybe doesn't rate on the world scale,but I was in Temora,NSW,when two Supermarine Spitfires flew together for the first time in 60 years;in Australia! 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've told you before that I met Don Prudhomme at Pomona back around 1999 or 2000, and we talked about Formula 1 racing, of all things. He was a really nice guy, from what I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in 2009 I was looking at the haulers he'd restored, at SEMA, and he decided to give my girlfriend a tour of the cab, yeah, that happened https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2009/11/don-prudhommes-funny-car-hauler-1967.html

      Delete