Friday, December 27, 2019

Lincoln sure got their money's worth from Matthew McConaughey as their commercial spokesman



I bet this is the first tv commercial that has ice fishing with a tip up.

I did that as a kid, and I guess Lincoln either read my bio, or they got lucky to email the only car website guy that has ever went ice fishing with a tip up.

The only line I think I heard in this commercial was "Beats jigging in a shanty"

Yes, you sure got that right. Hanging out in a heated Lincoln SUV commercial beats the hell out of sitting in a shanty jigging with a short fishing pole (you might not understand, but if you've seen Grumpy Old Men, you'll recall the short fishing poles, because long ones would just hit the roof ever time you pulled back to reel in.)

Whistling the Andy Griffith Theme Song at the end is a nice touch, I believe it's been regarded as the national fisherman's song for decades. It's currently the subject of a licensing lawsuit. CBS never had it legally for dvds, and yet, isn't paying the trust funds of the grand kids of the two men who created that music and copyrighted it in 1960... for the sales of dvds with that music.  https://deadline.com/2019/05/andy-griffith-show-theme-song-cbs-lawsuit-1202622146/

I find it hard to believe that 59 years after the copyright, the money to be made from the tune anyone who wishes to whistle it already knows, is enough to cover the costs of a federal lawsuit.

And why the hell does he take off his gloves... and thinks he can warm his hands better hith warm breath than a heating vent only an arms length away? 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, that one made me laugh at the end. Yes Lincoln definitely got there moneys worth with him. I didn't know Matt was an artist, other then his acting gig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sketchbook was the same one from an earlier Lincoln commercial he did, I can't recall which one.

      Delete