Monday, August 27, 2018

Could it be cheaper to Uber - Lyft, or rideshare than to own your own vehicle?

AAA released a study this month saying no, ride-sharing is not a cost-effective replacement for vehicle ownership.

John Nielsen, managing director, Automotive Engineering and Repair. “However, with the average American city-dweller driving nearly 11,000 miles per year, a personal vehicle is still the more cost-effective choice.”

A spokeswoman for Lyft said, “This AAA report contains a number of blind spots when examining the costs of ridesharing compared to vehicle ownership. Most prominently, it admits to not examining shared rides, which comprise one-third of Lyft rides in cities where shared rides are available."

Because personal vehicles sit unused on average 96% of the 24 hour day, researchers have found that using ride share services are more affordable and sustainable alternative to personal car ownership said Lyft Spokesperson Campbell Matthews.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/AAA-Says-Its-Cheaper-to-Own-a-Car-Lyft-Says-Otherwise--491469471.html

Consider me for example, in 6years:

360 a month payment
160 a month insurance
30 a week in gas (roughly, probably more) so about 120-150 a month in gas.
Tires every 30-35k miles, so, two sets bought in 6 years, about 450 total.
Oil changes were about 650 for 65k miles, in approx 3 years on my last car
and that is doing them myself at about 35 dollars every 3500 miles.
roughly 18 oil changes
Brake pads, probably one replacement set in 6 years

That's easily over 700 a month.

So, since I don't know how much it costs to catch a ride with Uber or Lift the same distance I need to drive... I can not say if it would be cheaper or the same... but 700 a month? 30 days, that's 23 dollars a day for a car. If I could spend half that a day for a rideshare chauffer... and not have to deal with parking, hot car in the afternoon from sitting in the sun all day -  but instead a driver shows up with the AC already having cooled off the interior, and no concerns with depreciation, parts wearing out or breaking, no concerns with driving - or collisions (never thinking about being hit, or hitting anything else would be a perk) Hmmmm... the perks of rideshare vs the convenience of your own car.

I think it would have to be at least 50% of the cost of having my own to make it worth it. Breaking even wouldn't convince me to be without a car

3 comments:

  1. There is now valid way to make comparisons between car ownership and using various alternatives due to the infinite variety of situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you meant to say there is "no" then I disagree. I just did make a comparison, and you just read it. If you meant to say "there is now a way" I agree, though not all of those infinite variety of situations is quantifiable, some are simple, and that of the city commuter is a very very simple example to make a comparison of. My roommate only drives to work and home. Seriously. She will not drive for fun, doesn't run errands, and is picked up by friends to go out. Her driving is a short distance to work and back, 5 times a week.
      Therefore, your assertion that there is "NO" is not correct. Not everyone has a infinite variety of destinations, as most people do.
      Avoid saying never, is a good piece of advice.

      Delete
  2. I don't care if it cost twice as much to own. I was born to drive!!! Even if I'm doing something with friends I'm always happy to drive. I just love being behind the wheel! Uber's good if your drinking

    ReplyDelete