Friday, November 17, 2017

440 4 spd Superbird finally out of the barn after 43 years of hibernating due to a bad voltage regulator


In mid-July 2017, Bob was contacted by Charlie regarding a Superbird his wife’s uncle Randy owned in Indiana

See, Charlie worked with a fellow named Dave whose son Matt heard Bob was into wing cars.

Randy agreed to sell it for 60k in Sept, and Bob is going to fix some issues, but the seized engine, and rotted radiator (plus the instant profit) have convinced him to flip it.


Randy told Bob he had bought the car brand new because it was different and that he drove it to cruises and as a daily driver for four years. In late 1974, Randy parked the car because of a bad voltage regulator.

Randy had moved the car once in the past when he sold his house. He had a tow truck haul it to his new house (the one Bob bought it from) during the night so no one would see it or know it was there.

When the guys got the car into the sunlight, the forty-three years of dirt showed. The interior had some damage from mice, however, the vinyl top was perfect and the interior was beautiful besides needing to have the bench seat repaired and new carpet installed.

 “We found several dollars’ worth of change and deep cleaned and conditioned the vinyl top and dash pad. There was absolutely zero rust around the windshield or dash pad; inside or out. The back window and moldings were great too and the car had absolutely no leaks when we washed it.


Also, with both a Superbird and a Daytona in his garage, Bob is already flush with cool cars, and needs the money more than he needs a project


http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/finders-keepers-bob-jennings-1970-plymouth-superbird-barn-find/

4 comments:

  1. this is why no one likes to sell their cars,
    as in the above corvette post.

    everyone knows that the buyer is really just a flipper looking to get rich because you didnt know what your car was really worth.

    Wayne Carinni bought a Stutz Bearcar for $30K telling the seller it wasnt worth anything.
    he quickly flipped it for half a MILLION

    I have a couple of old cars that I may never get around to fixing up., but they will rot into the ground before some mouthbreather gets rich flipping my junk cars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very good point. I don't want some flipper getting my R/T some day.... I want some young guy with passion, no sense, and a love for cool cars who will appreciate it, race it, cruise it, and wash it.... to be the next owner. Yeah, I recall that Carini car. Pissed me off. I think you probably read my post about it. I never did like Carini, and never will. Well, I hope you find the right next person for your cars, if you figure out how to do that, let me know, I'm going to need to figure it out too. I did post about that good guy with the green Superbird, about 7 years ago, who already found the kid who'll get his bird. The kid's always loved it, and so he told his wife, and the kid's mom, that if/when - the kid inherits the bird, no questions asked. Pardon my very bad memory, but is this Dan with the Franklins? If not, what are your old cars?

      Delete
  2. Sorry Jesse, I'm not sure what happened then but if a comment comes through incomplete, please disregard. I was typing when it all disappeared and came up with an empty window. You may get half of where I was going.
    I'll try again.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. computers suck! It didn't get to me at all

      Delete