Sunday, May 07, 2017

McKeen motor car in a city that no longer is above water, its now under Shasta Lake


At one time Kennett, Ca, had 40 saloons, dozens of trade stores, a hotel, hospital, a schoolhouse– it even had an opera house– that is, before it was sitting at the bottom of the huge man-made Lake Shasta. Kennett is now completely invisible, buried as deep as 400 feet below the water’s surface. There is no record of any public hearings to ask Kennett residents their opinion.

http://www.messynessychic.com/2017/03/29/once-a-californian-boom-town-now-a-sunken-city-at-the-bottom-of-a-lake/

6 comments:

  1. Is that one of the "Skunk" cars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what a "Skunk" car is

      Delete
    2. Yes, Being a gas motor car, it was a "Skunk" car

      Delete
    3. Huh! I'll be darned, I've never heard that expression used before about gas engines! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. On one of the links you shared last month, I saw a picture of a conveyor belt from Red Bluff to build the Shasta Dam...Wow, 7 miles long I think..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow... that's a hell of a long conveyor, but I bet it sped up the job!

      Delete