Saturday, March 18, 2023

I don't know what Roseville Pottery is, or why it's showing the Vanderbilt Cup Race, but, I like that they made both red and blue variations to distinguish the Vanderbilt family car, and the Astor family car (thanks Marc!)


Marc filled me in on what these are, and sent me a link to a Jalopnik article, which refers to Mr Jalopy's website post https://www.instagram.com/cocosvariety (wow, I got such a kick out of his blogs in 2006-2008, even met him once when I stopped by his bike store just to let him know he'd been a great influence on me to blog https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2013/01/i-looked-up-my-jalopys-bike-shop-cocos.html)

the Ohio-based Roseville Pottery Company were part of the relatively inexpensive art-pottery market in the early 1900s. Roseville produced a lot of different types and genres of styles and designs. Here are their only automotive-based line, known as the Tourist or Touring series.  https://www.pbs.org/video/roseville-tourist-jardiniere-ca-1915-4hzzei/

The Tourist pattern captures the early days of motoring when it was viewed as an annoying folly of the rich. Each piece takes a poke at motorists wherein the broken down car is pulled by horse team, the auto scares chickens or a horse is spooked which throws the rider.






and now you can see 5 different pieces that Bob Harrington collected

4 comments:

  1. Roseville Pottery is a well-known pottery company from Roseville, Ohio, near where my grandparents lived. They were known for making vases and decorative dishes. I googled Roseville Pottery Tourist and found a few sites showing dishes like these that sold for around $1000, so they are pretty rare and valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the pictures on the pottery aren't very flattering, I think the explanation in this Jalopnik article makes more sense than the auction description.

    https://jalopnik.com/there-was-once-a-genre-of-pottery-all-about-making-fun-1846046478

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I had no idea! There are 5 items on that auction, and I didn't realize those were rare expensive things. I just emailed Mr Jalopy (I went to his bike shop in 2013 to meet him) because in 2006 or so, he had a terrific blog, Hooptyrides, which isn't online anymore. Anyway, I hope he gets them, as he has been looking for some for a long time, and isn't likely to find some for sale again any time soon.
      Thank you for the in depth info! I added that to the post, and added all 5 items in a couple more photos, as that now, has more info than possibly any other online source

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I hope it works out for Mr. Jalopy.

      Delete