Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Not many people have worked at any of the big 3 as a car designer, fewer have and then went to work at Disney as a car designer! Probably only Bob Gurr, who is a 1952 alumni of Art Center College, and then was a designer for Ford in the early ’50s then designed the Autotopia cars







"While visiting Arts Center one day, sometime after graduating, I met an acquaintance with the school’s job placement department who asked me if I did any outside work. I had a day job and said “Yes,” but, really, I hadn’t done any. The next morning, he phones and tells me to be at the Disney Studio in 10 minutes. So I walked out of my job, smiled at my boss, and started work with Disney"

Walt Disney hired Bob Gurr in 1954 to design sports car bodies for the Autopia cars at Disneyland. Gurr went on to design most of the conveyances at the park including the Monorail, Matterhorn Bobsleds, and the Haunted Mansion Doom Buggies.

A few weeks after starting with Disney, a group of us were huddled around an Autopia chassis and this old guy walks up, unshaven, funny short tie and Roy Rogers-style western belt. I thought this was the father of one of the night guards. We talked at great length about the car. When this guy walked away, everyone said, “See ya, Walt.” I thought, “Was that Walt Disney?” So I was never formally introduced. He was just another person in the midst of the conversation. And it was not until my third week, when Walt asked me questions about my books on car design, that we officially met.

His numerous innovative and iconic designs for Disney—Autopia cars, PeopleMovers, Main Street, U.S.A. vehicles, and Mr. Toad cars, to name a few—led to his receiving the Themed Entertainment Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 1999, and the Disney Legend status in 2004





He worked on all four of the Disney shows for the 1964–65 New York World’s Fair, including the Ford Magic Skyway


Then he started his own business, and helped to build the tyrannosaurus in the movie Jurassic Park and the King Kong for Universal Studios' Kongfrontation, 

https://www.lamag.com/askchris/theres-new-film-disneylands-original-car-designer/

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/08/today-in-disney-history-fire-engine-debuts-at-disneyland-park-1958/

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2011/11/26/bob-gurr-answers-how-do-i-become-an-imagineer.html

https://d23.com/23-moving-questions-with-bob-gurr/

1 comment: