Tuesday, January 28, 2020

something I'll guess you may not have seen before, I've never seen it before, even when looking through spark plug collections, the Champion R7 plug



These were the recommended plug for the 1946-1950 Johnson PO-15. They were a “Cold” plug so you never got pre-ignition which you got sometimes when using the “hotter” recommended Champion 5M plug.

Gapping them must be a nice trick without the right tool

https://www.facebook.com/groups/49655829434/permalink/10157713767879435/

6 comments:

  1. I'd never seen one of those before, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they indeed need gapping? To me it looks like they were set at the factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're right, but if they need gapping? Then what?

      Delete
    2. HA! Then you're screwed my friend.

      Delete
  3. I worked at Champion for 18 years, and I don't remember seeing one of these, even in the antique spark plug collections. There is a 4th picture on Facebook, showing the side of the firing end. The gap could be adjusted by bending the middle of the sheet metal piece in or out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am here to amaze, delight, entertain, and educate. If I can pull off a hat trick (3 out of 4) on a Champion guy, at this stage of our old lives? I consider my job done here, I might as well retire fat dumb and happy! (as for gapping, I certainly was just working that angle for amusement, not that I figure anyone with some thickness gage blocks could gap it in moments. Hell, a tiny screwdriver, a tiny hammer, and a couple of moments would probably do the trick too, or the correct thickness of drill from the good old drill index (sizes are right there on the case))
      remember, I'm not here just to get through the day, some times I goof around, knowing that not everyone will be familiar with gage blocks, drill indexes, etc.
      Very happy to have pulled off a hat trick though!

      Delete