Friday, July 07, 2023

too late to verify it right now, but, I think that the next time I work on my family tree, I'll be able to prove I'm related to Albert Champion, founder of the famous spark plug company.

 It might be more than coincidence that I'm a car guy, it could be genetic

The Dodge Brothers, the Wright Brothers, Glenn Curtiss, Charles Erskine (CEO Studebaker), Ferrris, Plumb, Studley, and now, Albert Champion? 

That's quite a interesting bunch of relatives

But trust me, if you have your entire family tree, going back 20 generations, you'll find that you're related to a lot of famous people too. They won't be your ancestors, but they will be descended from your ancestors too, just like you, but many generations apart. 

So, if you're interested, I can recommend the search, if you're hoping to learn a lot of fun stuff. 

I was looking for the famous stuff, of course, like Ellis Island immigrants, Mayflower passengers, Puritans, Quakers, Salem Witches, war vets from all the wars like the Pequot Indian War, the King Phillps War, the war of 1812, the Revolutionary War, battle of Bunker Hill, Lexington, minuteman proof, George Washingtons army in Valley Forge, Civil War, Spanish American War, WW1, WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, what ships the immigrant ancestors came to this continent on, what countries they came from, Scottish Clans, Huguenots, Amish, Mennonites, native American tribes, Rough Riders, tavern keepers, saw mill owners, road makers, surveyors, etc. 

I found each of those, and other surprises. I hope if you find that interesting, you either get a copy of your family tree from your relatives, or make one (I had to make one, no one in my family had) and I can tell you that there are a LOT of books that were made about 100 years ago about the original European settler families, and though it really ought to be dead simply and automatically available through the US Govt, who has a copy of every tax record, census, birth certificate, death certificate, etc etc, and the govt ought to make all that date publicly available, for free, as IT ALREADY has the information, the govt has not made that info available.

Ancestry.com doesn't have all the info, but, they do have a lot. Draft registrations, census info, city directories, copies of those books I mentioned, etc. Not everything is accurate, as Ancestry does NOT add the information to it's databses, nor does it verify it, all that information (or most of it) is uploaded from other users. It's very helpful, and allows you to get to the information from a computer anywhere you have internet access. For a price. 

1 comment:

  1. The story of Albert champion is very interesting. A french immigrant Who lives the american dream

    ReplyDelete