Thursday, June 24, 2021

Goodyear ad from National Geographic Magazine March 1940. "a double eagle" is what they called a 20 dollar gold coin, but an "airwheel'? Either that's a really old term, or one I haven't heard a tire called

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vintage-shots-from-days-gone-by-part-2.1154030/page-1054#post-13953430

Airwheels explained at https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/10/goodyear-airwheels-i-dont-remember-ever.html but all said and done, the Airwheel was the name Goodyear gave to the airplane tires that had a LOT of soft cushion space for smoother landings on rough ground

Goodyear Airfoam was seat cushion material

Goodyear Airship was their blimp name

I think these are the "Airwheels" for cars in the ad, I posted back in https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015/10/big-goodyears.html 

3 comments:

  1. The Airwheel was the promotional name Goodyear used from the early 1930's for what most would call baloon tires which were dealer optional on many makes back then for a smoother ride. Check your post on August 12.2011. (advertising tires, unusual)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you the truth, I can't remember much of what I've posted. There's been too much, and my memory isn't any good any more.
      But someday I'll read this blog through from start to finish, and wonder how the hell this was made with exactly everything I love to see and read about.
      No joke, I'm planning ahead

      Delete
    2. Did I piss you off or what?
      You couldn't just add the link in your comment?
      There are 1361 posts in the "advertising" and 1185 posts in "unusual" and 300 some in "tires" and that all means that using any of those would just take hours to get back to August of 2011.
      Good thing I also know how to look things up by day.... or I'd never get there this week

      Delete