Thursday, October 22, 2020

So, I saved some money from the 7 months of sitting at home unemployed... and wanted to get my rusted out headers replaced on my ol Dodge.

 And, the right choice seemed to be to buy a set of TTI headers. 

They've got the rep from dozens of magazine articles and website articles about their benefits... in horsepower, good fit, and thermal coating. 

Well. That didn't turn out so well

TTI doesn't have a one click ordering on their website

They don't take credit cards.

When I called to order a set, the person answering the phone said "no salesmen here today to help you" and that was on Wednesday. 

A middle of the week work day. 

I wasn't asked to leave my name and number to get a call back, or email. 

SO, I called again today. I'm stubborn that way. 

No one available, but they took my number, and I got a call back 2 hours later. 

But... guess what. So many people are stuck home upgrading their cars, that the set I want, 1 7/8ths primaries, and 3 inch collector, for a 413/426 wedge/440 WITH the ceramic thermal coating? Not in stock, and that's because the thermal coating is not done in house. It's farmed out. 

And that company is 2 weeks behind schedule. 

So, I asked if they had an authorized sales outlet in San Diego - the 7th largest city in the USA. 

NOPE. A So Cal city, with a muscle car culture friendly environment... doesn't have a shop or store that sells TTI headers. 

Sure, because Murphy's Law... I guess. I could drive to Corona to the factory, which doesn't have any in stock, and doesn't take credit cards... or Riverside, or wherever else in the Los Angeles metro area between the Pacific and Riverside, from the mountains on the north side to San Diego on the south side... yeah, that could happen. 

But it's not going to. I expect that there are companies that sell online, the TTI headers I want, that accept credit cards. I also am pretty sure that they have people that answer the phone in the middle of a work day, and I also am pretty sure I can just click and order the ones I want.

If I'm wrong? I'm pretty sure I can get some other company of good reputation that DOES have one click ordering online. Probably even cost less. 

Why TTI isn't user friendly, I don't know. It's not like I'm ordering something they haven't been selling for decades... that is a common part. 440 headers. I'm pretty sure those have been around over 40 years, probably closer to 50 years... I'm not asking for a satellite to be built to spec, and launched, to provide wi fi, or cell service. Just some metal tubes, mass produced I expect, on a machine. And I'm not trying to get them the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th month of the virus complicated world... it's been 7 damn months, hasn't anyone figured out how to run a business making the same stuff they've been making for decades, and SELL them on the same internet that has been around over a decade? Probably on the same website they've had for over a decade. 


5 comments:

  1. I get it, I'm an aftermarket automotive supplier myself, my website is set up as an information site as well. Why? Exact explanation they offered, to many different configurations for a shopping cart, interaction required. Johnny 6 Pack starts shopping at midnight after living up to his name, misreads...possibly misguided, clicks wrong box, parts arrive, wrong part.....goes all over the internet about how the company got it wrong, makes company pay for return, correct parts reshipped....company now shipped 3 times, instantly a non-profit company....I also process through PayPal, you can use your credit card there, no biggie.....For 18 years I paid Quick Books $45.00 a month for the privilege to process cards plus the 3.25% on a purchase, PayPal takes 3% and that's it. Sorry, I can't help with the lack of a salesman part........Covid, the damage is done even 7 months later, you will 'never' make up any shut down time, inventory delays (on going) in manufacturing in a profitable manor....the damage is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you've found being a supplier to have problems... that you haven't found simpler easier solutions to.
      If there's too many configurations, too much interaction required, etc? Then those are problems that are easily solved.
      If Johnny 6 pack gets it wrong, well, that's easily solved too. But it seems to me that you and TTI didn't solve these problems right.
      If you and TTI can't cope with Johnny six pack ordering the wrong thing and taking out his frustrations on you, you're not ready to be a sales outfit.
      Leave all that to someone else, I believe that is known as wholesale and retail

      Delete
  2. Its often easier to buy the same item from a vendor like Summit or Jegs or Amazon than from the manufacturer.
    sometimes cheaper too, when we bought a Vintage Air AC last year, it was cheaper and faster to get it from a Hot Rod shop than from Vintage Air.

    and just today I was trying to purchase another silicone wedding ring,I cant wear metal jewelry on the job, got the first one on Amazon but it was too large, and included in the packaging was a coupon for 50% off at the company's web site. so I go there, and they only have up to size 9, ( I needed a size 11) while on amazon, the same company has up to size 15. beyond strange.

    but the covid, combined with corporate greed, is wrecking the economy, in many behind the scenes ways. the price of lumber has tripled since march. because the lumber mills just shut down, since they and their employees can get paid with the PPP, plus that creates a shortage and when they start the mill back up 6 weeks later, they can charge 3X the price for the same lumber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reply is so ignorant & wrong, you most likely won't post this. You, and I'm sorry to even write this, are part of the 2% that do not get it. We do not have time for to fulfill your order twice, eat the shipping, etc......then wonder why the shop gets backlogged because you the customer, ordered the wrong part. Companies that build built to order parts in small quantities, in high quality......We can live without the 2% internet wyners, trust me......I tried to help explain your 'biatch' outside of the salesman part, and you return as a wyner......boo hoooo....I understand nothing in life, I blame you...I know nothing about how the wheel turns.....Your not worthy.....boo hooo.....Lets see you post that reply and your reply. I was voluntarily unemployed for 2 weeks of my life, that was the time I went out on my own......24 years later, I must be still doing it wrong & unworthy....Right?????? You kill me some days Jesse......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your premise begins with the customer making some mistake, ordering twice, being a fool, a moron that can't figure out how to order the right part.
      Wow, your outlook is so negative, so biased, full of disgust and prejudice.
      Did I kick your dog? Slap your kid? Order from you and not pay?
      No.
      Lighten the fuck up.
      You're in full attack mode, and I must have pushed every button, sprayed salt on every wound, and poked at every sore tooth to get this response from you.
      Take a couple aspirin, maybe a beer or two, then a vacation for a couple weeks, and see if you can lighten the fuck up.
      I didn't spit in your eye. Someone else must have.
      Take out your frustration and stress on them.

      Delete