Sunday, October 18, 2020

First time I've ever seen a Bowers Batteries sponsor sticker.... looks like those batteries were extra full of power!




In 1921  Clarence P. Bowers. founded Bowers Battery & Spark Plug Co. in Reading PA


Bowers sold it in 1956 and it was renamed General Battery and Ceramic.
Exide Corp. purchased General Battery Corp. from Fruit of the Loom Co. for $145 million


in 1888 Tom Edison founded Electric Storage Battery Co., and began using the Exide name for his battery division in 1901








https://berksnostalgia.com/general-battery-and-ceramic-corp

4 comments:

  1. In your research of ancestors, is the Bowers in this post related to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that my grand father's grand father changed his name from Baumwort to Bowers when he immigrated to the USA from Canada.
      So, I am not related to any of the Bowers companies. The lighter company, the battery company, etc.
      Ans that is a bummer. I collected the full set of Bowers lighters about 20 years ago, not knowing if I was related or not, but in hopes I was.
      Regardless, it's a cool little collection, and there was a good chance I might have been, because my ancestor immigrated to Michigan from Canada, and the Bowers lighter company was in Michigan

      Delete
    2. Jesse do you still have the lithers? Did you post them at one time?

      Delete
    3. I sure do have them, I don't think I've ever posted them. Do you want to see them?

      Delete