Thursday, July 12, 2018

The wheels on this GTX are Ford-bolt-pattern 15×8 Magnum 500s because, in the owner's opinion, Mopar didn’t offer a 15-inch wheel that year that looked good enough.



I really don't understand. I get it, 15 x 8 wasn't easy to get with Mopar, I think I read they only came on hemi cars... so most guys have 14 x 7. But "Ford Bolt pattern"? Does anyone understand what that means?

Ford and Mopar both used 15 x 4.5 inch bolt patterns, so, those wouldn't be different.

So, all I am left thinking is that the writer meant to say that this GTX owner found that the Ford 15 x 8s were chromed, and the Mopar version didn't look good because it used a trim ring?


example above of the non chrome trim ring type Magnum 500


I'm asking because I found this written in the Feb 2018 Muscle Car Review
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1968-plymouth-hemi-gtx-traveled-michigan-hawaii

2 comments:

  1. What the owner was referring to was the fact that Chrysler never offered a Magnum 500 type wheel in 15" diameter- only 14s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I'll repeat what I wrote in the above, I believe that the hemi cars came with 15 inch Magnum rims. So, how certain are you that you believe that, against every known example of the phrase "Chrysler never" being proven wrong - how can you be certain that Chrysler never had a 15 inch Magnum 500?

      Delete