Thursday, November 30, 2023

update on my car upgrade

Murphy's law sure is tricky, and never lets an opportunity pass.

I wanted the heads upgraded to aluminum, so I asked for the input of someone that has a lot more experience than I have. 

Well, that didn't turn out well. He recommended Edelbrock Vic Jr heads. 

It turns out, those don't have the same dimensions as the stock heads, and the 440 six pack intake that's on my 426 Wedge won't bolt to them. The intake ports on the heads, are about an inch higher than where the intake rests. 

Huh. Damn shame that I blew a couple thou on them. 

Then (not knowing about the heads being I wanted them port matched to the headers I bought... the old headers have rusted and the noise of exhaust leak coming out of the` holes that annoy the hell out of me. 



So, on the recommendation of that guy, I went with the guy he knows who ports heads. 

That guy, not immune to Murphy's law, didn't stop at a port match. He went full port and polish. That's about 600 dollars more than a port match.

So, he expected me to pay for work I didn't ask for, and didn't want, and didn't budget for. 

Seeing's how I would benefit from the port and polish... we came to a compromise. I'd pay half, and not have to argue who was in the wrong. Seemed like a reasonable outcome. 

So, Now I have heads I can't return for a refund, because they've been worked on, and I can't use them without wasting money on whatever intake bolts on but I don't want to waste money on, then I'd have to waste money on a carb, and linkage, gaskets, etc. 

Meanwhile, when bolting on the QA1 steering/suspension upgrade, it was discovered that the oil pan on the big ol mopar 426 bonks. So, a different oil pan, dipstick, and oil pickup tube need to be bought. That's about 350 bucks. But what's a guy to do... ya gotta have an oil pan that doesn't interfere with the steering. 

so, 4 full days after dropping the car off, and problems and complications are just the path I'm on because the shop that's doing the work hasn't done this upgrade to a big block Mopar before. It's different than every cookie cutter Mustang and Camaro, and it's more pioneering a new direction, than following a path everyone else is on

I'll have the only 426 wedge topped by a 440 six pack, in an autocross ready 69 Coronet R/T. 

3 comments:

  1. Damn Jesse! Hate those kind of deals. When building cars for people I always spelled out exactly what they would provide and wanted and what I would provide and how I would do it. If a lot of R&D was required I made it clear that it would be on the clock at a very reasonable hourly charge. When I had engine work done I always got a written and signed agreement as to what what was to be done. If they ran into problems they had to call me and we would discuss it. Lot's of flakes out there on both sides of the fence. Also always carried a pocket pistol for jackasses! Later years I stopped doing one off cars for anybody I did not know. Started replicating racing sport cars of the late 50s-early 60s. Now I just pittle with a design or two for friends and maybe one for my son and I. Still carry the pistol for road varmints around the house. Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was called as soon as they found they couldn't proceed... when the shop discovered that the intake wouldn't bolt on, that the oil pan needed to be changed.
      Sure would have been so much better for my attitude if the heads had been verified to be the same size and dimensions as stock heads, and since they aren't, maybe some that are the same size, that are interchangeable with all the rest of the factory parts on a 413/426/440 engine

      Delete
  2. But just think what you will have when you finish! Anything off the beaten path will be a tough go, but most likely worth it in the end. The cost in dollars and skinned knuckles will be forgotten once you are stomping on the load pedal! Carry on!

    ReplyDelete