Sunday, October 11, 2020

news

 I start a new job 10 hours from now, and this will result in a lot less content. 

The last job was at a car dealership, where the amount of work depends on the number of customers, which is why I, and many others, were laid off 7 months ago.

I never heard back from them, and unemployment runs out, so I was very motivated to get a job, and I was lucky to get one now, with only 3 months of unemployment left (there was an unexpected 4 month extention, as things never got better in the job market, in just the last 2 weeks, Regal laid off 20,000 workers, Disney laid off 40,000)

The last job was as a photographer at a car dealership, for 6 years, and it was great. As I was saying the work load depended on the customers, so there was time with nothing to do, for most employees there, the drivers who pick up or drop off customers in the service dept, the parts dept, the salesmen, the lube oil techs, there's a lot of people at a car dealership that have no work if there are no customers, and I had lots of time to add to the blog... and it was great while it lasted, but nice things don't last. 

I'll be getting back to factory work, repairing and testing stuff, and believe it or not, it's a pay cut. Probably because new hires don't get paid much at any job, no matter how qualified, over qualified, or desperately needed they are. It has been like that at every job I've had, you start getting bless than your old job, but get a pay raise at the 6 month mark the 1 year, the 2 year, and the 5 year mark. 

Or maybe it's just the glut of unemployed creating a moment when there's no reason to pay more than the lowest a company can, in order to increase profits and increase stockholder dividends. Stockholders always are a higher priority than employees, at every corporation I've worked for, Time Warner, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Solar Turbines, It's obvious, just look and see who gets catered meetings. 

Anyway, the new job means I'm no longer sitting in quarantine keeping busy adding to the blog, watching tv, and other stuff I'm working on, so, 9 or 10 less hours a day than the past 6 years of blogging. 

I think it's safe to say there will be no reason to look in a couple times a day to keep up. I won't be anywhere near half as much as I've been posting. 

As always, if anyone wants to hire me full time, and see me get out and roam around to cover events, museums, and random stuff on the streets, they can just let me know and I'll quit punching a time clock

27 comments:

  1. Jesse, I wish you all the best at the new job! I am happy for you that you have a job at all. At the beginning of the Covid outbreak I have lost one of my two jobs and still can't find anything, so I know how is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And dang, I hope your situation gets back to where you want it!

      Delete
  2. Well, best of luck and good wishes on this new phase of your life. I certainly appreciate your work on this site. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! umm, and you're welcome!

      Delete
  3. congrats on the new job - best of luck and I will still drop to check the great content you post. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Heck yes drop by, I just wanted to ease everyone into the new situation with the news that there just won't be as much anymore. It takes time, every post, and with that time, there just won't be as many posts

      Delete
  4. Jesse, I can't tell you how much your blog is appreciated. I love checking in at least twice a day, sometimes more. But I also want you to know that it is great you got some work and I wish you the very best at the job. Make new friends, and new contacts, and maybe even find some cool stuff to blog. As always I look forward to your posting and appreciate what you bring us. We may not see eye to eye on everything you put out there, but we sure love the planes, trains and automobiles that you bring us. Thank you sir, and best of luck with the new job. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww shucks.
      Well, darn it, I used to add content for a couple hours in the morning, a couple in the afternoon, and about an hour in the evening so people had new stuff to see in the next morning.
      Wait, we don't see eye to eye? Well, phooey, I though we did, so, don't tell me what I'm out in left field on.
      You're not a Chevy or Ford guy.... and me a Mopar guy, that's not it, is it? Don't tell me!
      You're welcome! And thanks for the note!

      Delete
    2. 😄 You got me. Yes we 're both a couple of MoPar heads, But I do pay respects to the other auto manufactures. Just keep up the good work when you can, we're all diggin' what you post in one way or another.

      Delete
  5. Good luck for the future and all the best.Rolf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Don't make it sound like I'm quitting, I'm not. I just won't have much time anymore

      Delete
    2. How was the first week with the new job?

      Delete
    3. it was one of the more difficult new jobs I've had, but they all are difficult to adjust to. This is a good job, great company, very interesting co-workers, and free lunch!
      It took a couple days to get used to a LOT of things... like trying to get more than 5 hours sleep a night.
      I had 7 months out of work, so all my habits had changed, eating, sleeping, hydrating
      Now, I am only allowed to eat at break times or lunch... you see?
      Plus, the new computer program for clocking in and out is strange, plus we have to take our temperatures three times a day, and wear those damn face masks all damn day

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Less content here is a small price to pay for your employment! I hope this turns out to be your dream job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the new job, Jesse. It's your blog and we're just along for the ride, so we'll appreciate whatever you are able to add.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's obvious and plenty of people have already said it, but:
    1. Thanks for all your work on the blog.
    2. I'm really glad you've found a new job. If you've managed to become employed in the current job climate you must be pretty competent (or have the gift of the blarney).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome!
      Me too!
      I'm both. Plus my resume is pretty good, Navy, electronics, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, a couple years building machinery, and been a good enough tech to get assigned to QA.

      Delete
  9. I wish you the best in the new job, hopefully it will be rewarding in more ways than a paycheck. I have appreciated your efforts here for years and realize the time it involves. Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I need the paycheck more than anything else.

      Delete
  10. Good luck with your new venture Jesse. I'll continue to check in daily . And I can't post an image but here's two thumbs up for the great entertainment you provide!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new job! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news! Don;'t worry about us, just take care of yourself. With the way the job market is today I thank my lucky stars every day that I am comfortably retired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're lucky! Who knew a flu virus would cause millions to become unemployed, businesses to be bankrupted, etc. It's a great time to be retired!

      Delete
    2. you're lucky! Who knew a flu virus would cause millions to become unemployed, businesses to be bankrupted, etc.

      Jesse, I think that was the plan all along. We've been screwed my friend. All of us.

      Delete
  13. Hey, let me add "congrats" on finding a new job! Appreciated all the interesting stuff and will look for new stuff in the future. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little late but still, congrats lad! I will still check blog couple times a day... you can't stop me!

    ReplyDelete