Tuesday, August 15, 2023

today I learned, that the guy who wrote Vehicle at age 18, co-founded Survivor and was commissioned by Stallone to write Eye of the Tiger for Rocky III, and has a collection of 193 guitars... and married his high school sweetheart

James Peterik, the co-founder of Survivor, was vocalist and songwriter of "Vehicle" by the Ides of March in 1970, was co-writer of the anthem "Eye of the Tiger" from the 1982 film Rocky III.

Peterik started performing in 1964 with some of his highschool schoolmates as The Ides of March. Their hits included "You Wouldn't Listen", "Vehicle", and "L.A. Goodbye" in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

"Vehicle", which was number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart the week of May 23, 1970, is purported to be the fastest selling single in Warner Bros. Records history.

In 1982, Sylvester Stallone commissioned Survivor to write and perform the theme song for Rocky III. This song, "Eye of the Tiger", became their defining single, spending six weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and going double platinum. 
"Eye of the Tiger" also won a Grammy Award and resulted in an Oscar nomination for Peterik and Frankie Sullivan for Best Song.

Their 1984 album, Vital Signs, featured the Top 10 hits 
"High on You" (No. 8) and 
"The Search Is Over" (No. 4), and another sizable hit, 
"I Can't Hold Back" (No. 13). 

In 1985, Peterik co-wrote the theme song to Rocky IV, "Burning Heart", which would be another big hit (No. 2 in early 1986) for Survivor. "Burning Heart" was followed by Number 7 hit, "Is This Love". 



Peterik first displayed his musical talent while singing with his sisters in the back of the family’s 1952 Chrysler on trips to Florida. A few years later, at age 9, he began playing the guitar, “because I was old enough to wrap my hand around the neck,” he said.

He was 14 in 1964 when friend and classmate, Larry Millas knocked on his door and asked if he wanted to start a band. “Music was my life at that point,” Peterik said. 
 “Then [bass player] Bob Bergland said, ‘I’m reading [Shakespeare’s] Julius Caesar, and I came across the phrase, ‘Beware the Ides of March,’” Peterik recalled.
 “Bergland said, ‘That sounds like our new name.’” 

They played local backyard BBQs and in high school gymnasiums. Their song “You Wouldn’t Listen” reached No. 42 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 7 on WLS Chicago in 1966.

Then they struck it big in 1970 when Peterik was an 18-yearold freshman at Morton College and penned “Vehicle.” He was inspired by a girl, Karen, whom he met at a Turtles concert in 1968. “She would ask me to drive her places but would insist we were just friends,” Peterik said. “She said, ‘I want to date other guys. It’s not a date - you have the cool car. Can you take me to modeling school?’ I did, so I could be next to her. Week after week, she’d shake my hand. I thought, 'All I am is your vehicle baby.’ I had never heard the word used in a song.” The words in the song about the stranger offering a ride to the nearest star was based an anti-drug pamphlet Peterik’s lab partner showed him that depicted a man stopping children to sell drugs.

The song shot up to No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, and after hearing it on the radio, Karen called Peterik and agreed to a date. She became his wife two years later. “All my songs are written for Karen.” Peterik said. “I rarely write sad love songs because I really never experienced heartbreak

"Vehicle” features Peterik using a gruff voice that sounds years older than 18, accompanied by a horn riff. Peterik said as a result, people mistook the band for Blood Sweat & Tears. He was, in fact, channeling Blood Sweat & Tears’ lead singer David Clayton-Thomas, along with Ray Charles. Charles was an early, major influence on Peterik, along with Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash. “Musically, I am the mutt of so many influences,” Peterik said.

With the record’s success, the band hit the road with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and other top names. “We were sharing a deli tray with the Grateful Dead"

https://issuu.com/streetwise_chi/docs/june28-july4_2023_issuu/s/26768451

Jim Peterik: I'm 17 years old. I'm a junior in high school. I've heard that my favorite band was coming to Riverside High, the Turtles. 
 I showed up early and it was open seating, so I was there at 6 o'clock for an 8 o'clock concert near the front of the line waiting to get in. All of a sudden, this gaggle of girls is dancing next to me, and one is cuter than the next. I went, "Oh my God." There was one girl that just had these big eyes and she wasn't looking at me. She was playing it cool. I said to myself, "Well, that girl's way out of my league. She'll never talk to me."

Just then, she turned around and said, "Aren't you Peterik?" I go, "Yeah."

She said, "I just saw your band last week. You guys were great." I go, "There is a God." 

We started talking like we had known each other for a hundred years. We're talking about our favorite movies, and the other girls, as cute as they were, they just kind of disappeared and there was just this one girl. She was wearing orange culottes, knee socks and saddle shoes. She went to an all-girls high school.

The concert ended, and my car was parked right in front. It was a '65 Valiant, beautiful and white. I said, "Hey, do you want a ride home?" And she said, "Oh no. My dad would never let me do that, but you can walk me home to my girlfriend's house."

So, I walked her home, memorized her phone number, and I said, "I'll call you." I couldn't get up the nerve to call her for another week and she thought that I would never get up the nerve to call her. 
We started dating, and we went to a play at the high school. We were walking back to her house. Her mother said, "You get her home by 9 o'clock. I'm a stickler on that." Well, it was about 9:15, but we almost made it. Behind Larry Millas' house, she gave me the kiss of a lifetime. She was way more advanced than I was. I never had a kiss like that, and I floated home just like on gossamer wings, as they say.

So, we just kept dating and all of a sudden, she said, "You know, Jim, I'm 15 years old. You're the first boy I've ever dated. I really need to see what else is out there." It broke my heart. Total "whomp, whomp" moment, you know. I was in the dumpster for months. ...

Out of the blue, I get a call. "Hey, Jim. It's Karen. Remember me?" "Yeah." "Well, you know, it's not a date or anything, but you know, you've got that cool car. Would you take me to modeling school?" She was really cute. 
Sure. I figured I'll take her to modeling school. I thought, "Well, maybe I'll get a kiss or something." I took her to modeling school and waited outside for an hour and a half. She comes dancing back out. I take her home.
No kiss, a handshake. "That was really fun, Jim. Thanks." Two weeks later, the same thing happened.

BH: She didn't even offer to pay for the gas?

JP: Not even. Two weeks later, she calls me again. Now I'm starting to get a little PO'ed. I said to myself, "You know, all I am is her limousine. No, wait a minute. All I am is her vehicle, baby." I was like "Wait a minute. Vehicle. What a unique word."

That song came out and it was the fastest breaking hit in Warner Brothers history, up to that time. It was on the radio coast to coast. Suddenly, there was demand for the band. Here I am, 19 years old by this time, and I'm on the road with Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Jimi Hendrix. What a magical year to have a hit record, the summer of 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment