The Steuart Brothers (Guy T. and Lawrence Leonard P.) started their business in 1904. At first they sold ice and coal from a hand-built cart pulled by a rented mule. Eventually, adapting to the times, they opened a garage/warehouse at 141 12th st NE. At their peak the brothers had many businesses (car agencies, motor repair, parts, insurance, truck fleets, tug boats, and fuel storage) employing 690 people.
The warehouse still exists, being transformed into condos in the 1970s and renamed Steuart Square.